Leaky shifter help

1datsun78

I put an '82 280ZX 5 speed into my 510 vintage racer, and the Redline Lightweight gear oil is puking out of the shifter area. (I'd post a picture if I could figure out how). The oil has coated the inside of my shift boot, and enough runs out after each race session to pool on either side of the trans tunnel in front of the seat mounting brace.. Gearbox was filled to bottom of fill plug opening.

Are there any seals or gaskets in the shift mechanism to stop this, and are they available?

Does reversing the plastic side inserts that the pin goes through (that alters shift fulcrum & throw) make any difference? I wouldn't think that would, as it doesn't appear that where the plastic bushing at the bottom of the shift lever resides is in oil (like it is now!)

Thanks!

Mark

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On some shifters you can flip the plastic sides with the small spring? but this Also raises the ball on the end of the shifter and it may be too high to fit the striking rod properly. I did this and used an S110 (200sx_ or 720 shifter I forget which one.

To shorten the throw you need to increase the distance between the pin and the ball on the bottom of the shifter.

shifters002Large.jpg

There are no seals around the striking rod just close fitting parts. Three things...

Remove and check the plastic vent on the top right side of the tail. If you have put a pipe on this check that it's not kinked or blocked. Transmissions get very hot from even normal in town driving, I can't imagine how hot from racing. The air inside expands and needs to get out and in when cooling.

Your Redline Lightweight oil is probably very thin. This is the way of synthetic oils today. They are that way to gain some mileage advantage. The old original GL-4 oil was 80w90 or so and very thick. The lightweight stuff is about the same as 10w30 motor oil for 'thickness'. Nothing wrong with it otherwise, extremely good protection... just thin. Thinner oil is going to get thrown around like water under racing conditions so as mileage and friction reducing isn't a big concern when racing maybe something thicker would help.

Are you sure it from the shifter and not the rear seal just below it? A really bad seal will puke oil out here and the driveshaft throw it all over the shifter, underside of the tunnel and shift boot.

• Like 2

Damn I missed it but yes on the front of the striking guide... the part the shifter and pin attaches to. It would seal oil from coming out between it and the case but not from down inside where the bottom of the shifter seats. The part number is 32710-14600 or any neoprene O ring the same size. It's also the O ring on the speedometer pinion. I think the striking rod that the shifter ball sits into is open into the transmission. I have heard many people mentioning filling their transmissions by pouring oil in there and letting it seep in.

You're using the Shock Proof Lightweight gear oil? I have not had good luck using the shockproof oils. Have you tried the MT90?

I thought there was an o-ring inside the shifter cone. I know there's one on the outer shift pivot, but I thought there was one on the inner rod as well.

Take that assembly apart and go from there. You know, you could always modify it to have a better seal...!

Another thing that can cause oil to spit out of your trans is a badly balanced driveshaft. It can take out your rear bushing as well, or is it a Roadster style trans with a flange?

Thanks for the replies. It's from an '82 non-turbo 280ZX. Shifter is like datzenmike pictured above. Stock vent is clear. Oil is accumulating in area at bottom of gear shift lever; tail shaft area completely dry. Drive shaft has been re-balanced. Can the o-ring Stoffregen refers to & the related assembly be removed/replaced/repaired in-car? Would that o-ring be part of a "standard" rebuild kit? 

I really appreciate all the knowledge here!

Mark

Many members have they re-filled their transmission by slowly pouring oil into the shifter so there is an unsealed access there along the striking rod. It has to be free to slide and rotate. Leakage isn't a problem here with 90w oil. Thicker oil is far easier to try than taking the transmission out.

Thanks all for your help! Turns out the best solution for me is ebay item #231678078672 from http://myworld.ebay.com/the-z-connexion

$9.90 delivered.

This is an inner rubber shift boot that goes over the shifter shaft and seats on the round housing that the shifter fits into. Part #33 on darrel's link in his post above to the Futofab diagram.

The thinner oil contributes to the issue, but at least this boot should contain it where it needs to be, and should self-drain back into the tranny.