Where best to mount a winch bullbar and side steps?

btd19m

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Factory mounts for a nudge bar?  They had those?

I suppose I have no idea what you're talking about.  My 4X4 has a hitch receiver welded to the frame- the frame member under the radiator.  It's not stock.  It's for a winch, though.  I don't have a winch, so I just used it to move trailers around (easier to push around tight corners that way). 

Only other location would be something that either bolted to the bumper mounts (after removing said bumper), bolting to the top frame mounts where the bumper mounts are supposed to be, or bolting to where the tow hooks go (which are under the frame)

For side steps you'll have to fabricate something that either welds to the frame or clamps around the frame.  Key being "fabricate" as there's nothing stock I know of that will just bolt on.

I believe side steps should not be used on a off road vehicle, because if you high center on them hard, they could get bent up far enough to block the doors from opening.

Another rule of off roading.  Weight is your enemy.  Parts left off cost nothing, and create no service problems.

I believe side steps should not be used on a off road vehicle, because if you high center on them hard, they could get bent up far enough to block the doors from opening.

Another rule of off roading.  Weight is your enemy.  Parts left off cost nothing, and create no service problems.

i was looking at 1/2 inch steel side steps that a lot of friends and family run and that i run on my lux and f150. never had problems and even in a side on crash in 2011 the f150 didnt get a dent in the bar. poor guy who hit me totaled his car though. 

this kind of thing is what was fitted to ftrucks and such here. lot of nissan gq/gu/x trail/comp trucks and varous others have  them

4872-drc-rock-sliders-alum-1.jpg

GQ-DRC-4x4--Rock-Sliders-3.jpg

its high tensile steel powerder coated black and then you add the plate overtop. insanely tough and meant for cars that get pushed to breaking point. most people use them for underbody armour as well. i was considering doing the same 

what underbody armour consists of (from end to end)

077sbsum09u.jpg

Factory mounts for a nudge bar?  They had those?

I suppose I have no idea what you're talking about.  My 4X4 has a hitch receiver welded to the frame- the frame member under the radiator.  It's not stock.  It's for a winch, though.  I don't have a winch, so I just used it to move trailers around (easier to push around tight corners that way). 

Only other location would be something that either bolted to the bumper mounts (after removing said bumper), bolting to the top frame mounts where the bumper mounts are supposed to be, or bolting to where the tow hooks go (which are under the frame)

For side steps you'll have to fabricate something that either welds to the frame or clamps around the frame.  Key being "fabricate" as there's nothing stock I know of that will just bolt on.

i was looking at removing the bumper and my nudge bar. for a proper bullbar to suit the area before it gets totalled

for the roos and cattle most people run this kind of thing

5_Post_Alloy_Bullbar_front_view.jpg

a lot of them mesh over the gaps to prevent lights getting smashed

Image_Chevy-Silverado-874x324.jpg

bullbar

070sb13n10p-07.jpg

nudge bar

9981_1_retail.jpg

a nudge bar wont take a roo or a cow.

a  bullbar will take both at medium to low speed. 

a propper heavy duty bullbar/roo bar wont get a scrach from a full sized 1 ton bull

just so were on the same page here

roos go for headlights randomly 

have a good bar setup saves lives

i know people locally who have paid huge prices for not having some form of bullbar when they had a head on with a roo or a bull

article-0-20B25AE300000578-652_634x899.j

This is pretty much all that we got here. I know I have seen others that have the hoops that go around the headlights as well. Pretty sure those ones were an option for the ST version.

83004816_0fe5c28021_o_zps4oauqc1e.jpg

This wouldn't do squat for protecting you from even a medium sized animal though. 

The problem I see for you is finding enough structural support for something that will take the hit of a roo ( or in our case, a deer) without bending up the front frame horns. Perhaps something that mounts down the front horns similar to what a receiver hitch would do.

Good luck and keep us posted. I for one am curious to see what you come up with. 

Go look up redeye's 4x4 build for his rocker guards/slides, Then just make loops off of those for steps.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/35996-1978-620-king-cab-4x4/

The bumper build is strewn through there :lol:

I welded a couple plates the the front cross member that were thick enough to tap and then used the stock mount holes as well for a total of 12 holding the bumper on. 

Plates 

IMG_9526.jpg

How the  bumper attaches

IMG_9589.jpg

You can see the holes that line up with the factory bumper holes in this shot.

IMG_0969.jpg

For the side bars (rocker protection) I used some plate to tie them to the frame. 

IMG_5965_zps1160655f.jpg

IMG_5962_zpsc3387072.jpg

IMG_5963_zps3f156988.jpg

Then played in the woods. :)

IMG_1165.jpg

It was a ton of work but well worth having a solid truck. 

• Like 1

Bull bar: attach to front of frame, extra metal never hurts.

Nerf bars/side steps/rocker guards/rick sliders:

Attach to frame, reinforce in both directions of vertical axis and mount about 1 inch below the rocker.

Edit: triangulate triangualte triangulate, keep that shit strong.