1976 datsun 710 wagon HELP!!

So I'm having multiple issues with my wagon, but can't seem to find any solid help. My rear axle is making a squeaking noise, pretty sure it's a fluid/lubrication problem, is there a drivetrain fluid tank or something?. Also just rebuilt my weber 32/36 dgev and the butterfly plates are not functioning as they should. They're constantly open even when I push the throttle. Thinking this could a compression issue but I don't know enough about carberatouers to tell. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The axle is a stand alone unit. The big section in the middle of it, the differential, is where the fluid is kept. This fluid can leak, so look at your diff and see if there is evidence of oil leaking from it.

Which set of butterflies isn't moving? The upper set are the choke plates. On a hot day they v can already be open before you touch the car. The ones deeper inside the carb are the actual throttle plates that respond directly to the gas pedal.

Post pics, they help a ton. We here at ratsun are pic whores. Post up a bunch of pics of the car, outside, inside, engine. Tell us what you know about it, how long you had it, the mileage, all of that information not only peaks interest it also can help with the diagnostics. Is the car totally stock beyond the Weber?

• Like 1

There is a plug about half way up the back side. A 1/2" ratchet will fit this and it can be removed. Dip you finger inside. Oil should be filled to the level of the opening. If low refill with GL-5 differential gear oil. I don't think it's this. Every bad differential I have ever had never squeaked it groaned or rumbled.

U-joints on the other hand can squeak. High pitch that increases very quickly with speed?

While your checking, you might as well change the oil in the dif.  It only costs a couple of bucks.  There's a drain on the bottom and then fill from the side.  The oil that drains out will probably have some glitter looking metal flakes in it from being old. Bigger pieces of metal might mean there's a problem.

Where are you in Texas?  We're pretty spread out, but there are several Texan Ratsuners.