Seat belts?

timmy

Hey all,

Has anyone tried fitting 3 seat belts across the bench of a 520? My truck has the mount points for 2 lap/sash belts but I'd like also to put a lap/sash belt in the centre. Guessing it would require an extra steel member welded in just under the rear window so I could add the extra mounting point.

Reason being is that I'd like to be able to take a couple of my kids on cruises and ideally have them as safe as possible (given the lack of any active safety features on the truck :)  )

Thanks!

Tim

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I've seen it done by just using the existing 2 "middle"  mounts by doubling up the belts."

This would give you three pair of lap belts.  In the USA, I have used a company called seatbeltplanet.com to get new lap belts for a 1970 521.  1972 521 trucks in the USA had a mount in the corner, above the seat, for a shoulder belt.  I think this is what you mean by "sash belts"  Earlier 521 trucks had a stamping in the corner, between the rear window, and door frame, for a shoulder mount belt, but no mount actually installed.

I second Seatbelt Planet.  Here's what I did for mine... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54469-new-seatbelts-for-the-520/

A couple of issues you may have... 1) you may have problems creating a sufficient anchor for a center shoulder belt.  If you go below the glass, you may be too low to get proper angle to make it effective (??), and if you go above the glass, you may be too high.  Looking at modern vehicle top mounts, you'll see they are just about shoulder height... that's the middle of the rear glass for most of us; and 2) if your center lap belt will be using the same anchor point as the original belts, you've reduced their effectiveness as anchors because you're adding to the load.  In a crash, everyone in the car is going to pull against those anchors at the same time.  If you're 200# and you've got a 100# kid sitting in the middle, that's 300# being accelerated off that anchor point.  Just something to consider.

I'd just pick one kid as your favorite and shun the other one... problem solved  :angel:

• Like 1