Carb Nightmare

McSnooderson

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it matters for starting but when the key is turned on off on off the solenoid should click if wired correctly.

Engine warmed up for at least 15 min. and turned off.... Take the top off the air filter and look. Is the choke on or off

Engine cold and not started....Take the top off the air filter and watch as you pump the gas. The choke should close. Does it?

I'm not really qualified in any way to answer this post, but I wanted to throw this possible problem into the ring....you mentioned " It was dying every time I stopped." which reminded me of my wagon stalling out at stop lights because the brake booster went bad and it was causing a vacuum leak when I depressed the brake pedal. I thought I was going crackers, the car was sputtering and dying if I pressed on brake pedal haha. Anyhow, maybe power brake booster or some other vacuum leak?

• Like 1

Not that it matters for starting but when the key is turned on off on off the solenoid should click if wired correctly.

Engine warmed up for at least 15 min. and turned off.... Take the top off the air filter and look. Is the choke on or off

Engine cold and not started....Take the top off the air filter and watch as you pump the gas. The choke should close. Does it?

This needs trouble shooting. Eliminating causes not guessing at them. Then moving on to the next. Having to hold the pedal down to start sounds like it too rich or flooded and needs more air. First eliminate the choke as the cause and move on

You don't need a rocket scientist to check this.

Figure out what's wrong and then tell the mechanic to fix it if you can't. Always know more about what's wrong that the guy you're paying to fit it. Or you might as well hand him your wallet.

1978 4dr 115,000 miles and ran great until it started dying. Now that the full ignition is new and the full fuel system is new it  wont run at all. Scared to put a weber on it and I want it to stay as original as possible. Wish there was a trustworthy shop in the valley :)

How is the fuel system NEW? What did you do or replace on it.?

Did you,

Rebuild your own carb

Buy a rebuilt carb

Have yours rebuilt by a professional

--------------------------------------------------

Did you do all of the work mentioned or was this done by a mechanic?

Why did you change out the ignition? The 78 B210 came from the factory with the best available ign system for an A14.

Above all, what prompted you to do all of the above work?

With the lackof available on hand parts and the habit of exhausting all possibilities to accomplish a goal, it was an absolute must to change all inexpensive and not so invasive parts that make it run. If you think it is silly then fine. I can say I always like a good SPARK under the hood and there are no trustworthy mechanics around here. If they can't use a computer for diagnostics then they can't work.  So I will do whatever is needed to get the result I want. Thank U all Again for your input

Na, no I understand. When it is our daily, preemptive maintenance can be a smart move. I really would like to help, just need to try and get a vibe for the Dat, not being able to see it in person. With the info Mike, myself or another member can at least give you a more of an informed answer on where you may look for B210 happiness

Here is what I would do, not that I'm a guru just thinking out loud.

1st check for spark. If spark is good double check firing order.

If spark is good make sure getting fuel to carb, if fuel to carb check sight window if it's a hitachi. Check choke to make sure it's working, next check for any obvious vacuum leaks.

Now if all that's good and you have compression it should start, if not check timing.

If it still doesn't start find dog and kick.