California smog trucks with Webber Carbs

IvyRacer

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32/34 DFT, which was a much smaller carb, smaller than the DGV.  But was a bolt-on match, no adapter needed for the manifold..  Long NLA, though- at least 15 years.  And it would have to have the correct CARB tag, with the right number for the application (not just any 32/34 DFT would work, even if it had a tag, it would have to be the exact tag number for the vehicle model).

But, the CARB exemption allowing the Weber 32/34 DFT9 (or DFT11) only covers 720s through '82.  As far as I can see 83+ have no allowance for anything other than the original Hitachi.

• Like 1

My brother had a 620 back in the 80's and his had a smog legal Weber on it. It passed no problem. I know that kit is no longer available.

The carb itself was from a Fiat or Ford (2.3?) I can't remember. I did a quick search for "Ford OEM Weber carb" and came up with some promising results. On the web, they are calling it a Holley 5200. There are a ton of them on ebay.

• Like 1

I have an '84 720 z24 so it sounds like those won't work for me. So, it seems like my options are to tear into my "functioning" carburetor, and open myself up to a seemingly endless new li$t of parts I'll have buy to fix the d*** thing (assuming I can put it together correctly), or skip the headache and buy a brand new CA legal hitachi for $4-500. Even then, there might be more problems that I haven't narrowed it down to yet, like the cat, o2 sensor, egr, etc... or maybe my motor is bad and this is all futile.

Crap.

• Like 1

"Even then, there might be more problems that I haven't narrowed it down to yet, like the cat, o2 sensor, egr, etc... or maybe my motor is bad and this is all futile."

When you do a tune up, you do all that and more (adjust valves) before you even think about touching the carb.  A lot of "carb:" problems are actually problems with ignition, or other issues.

• Like 4

Exactly, make touching the carburetor the last thing you do for a smog certificate. I once took off a catalytic converter and soaked it in dish soap with water over night once (with intermediate shaking,) and let it air dry for two days to pass. But it worked! Button up exhaust and all emissions first.

• Like 2

I have an '84 720 z24 so it sounds like those won't work for me.

Why wouldn't that work for you?

One thing you could do is get a Weber with a fuel shutoff solenoid and electric choke. Use the factory Nissan wiring pigtail to wire them both. Do as clean an install as possible with the throttle linkage and all the right vacuum lines, and get the DGV air cleaner adapter adapter (or modify the OEM air cleaner to fit) so when the tech opens the hood, it looks all stock. I have heard of cases where the guy doesn't even look at the carb. Point is, if it looks stock, he may be fooled into thinking it is stock.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Has to

Has to be the 32/34 dft9a and its stamped on the base of the carb.

Contrary to some reports I've heard, this is MUCH better than the stock Hitachi In power and very easily tuned when jetted correctly to both pass smog and then retuned to perform very nicely even with 32" tires... Takes a little(k , bout 15°) advance, 91 octane and and a good "best idling lean adjustment" then turned one turn back rich...

Rebuild kits for gaskets are cheap on ebay and I've even seen 2 on ebay going for around 130-150, one used and one "old stock, New in box"...

I'll be keeping mine to kill smog tests, then getting a 38 to swap out n get a better throttle response while wheeling.

• Like 1