New to Forum - Obligatory Self Intro

Andy_in_SD

Hey All,

Glad to find an active place with Roadster people.

I'm not new to Roadster's having had them since the 80's. Have had 3 x 67 1/2's (1600's), a 68 1600 and a 66 1600 in the past. Currently I have a 70 SPL which was upgraded with a U-20 & 5 Speed in the 90's (the classic fake SRL). I bought my daughter a 66-1600 which she is learning to wrench on. Have had other Datsuns in the past as well (fond memories of 510's).

I know the cars decently having had to rebuild many R Series engines (Kids car is getting that treatment now), and have had to fix all the usual things we run into (can't count how many head gaskets I've replaced over the decades).

Currently the 66's head is out at a shop, all of the gallery ports are being ground out & rewelded, new valves and a shave. When we got that car it had sat for over 10 years and was seized solid (took a whole day to get the motor to turn). We've done a lot so far, always more to do.

The 70 got a new hood yesterday, and is getting a new exhaust Sunday (everything from headers back). I do all my own work, thus will be welding / cutting etc... myself.  Monday is further work on the dash. I'm fabricating new steel for the top / bottom of the dash and will be making a flat dash out of zebrawood.

I know some tricks that may have fallen by the wayside over the years and if they can help someone in a pickle, always glad to pass em along (ie: a 510 starter flipped upside down will work in a 1600 if you're in a pinch. It spins the proper direction when upside down, and hooks in fine when te bendex kicks).

I've been a roadster fan since the early 80's, my favorite cars by far.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know very little about the Roadster and there doesn't seem to be much tech about them here. It may be me, but are there any build threads at all? Only 6 pages in the Roadster section and the first page goes all the way back to Feb '14.. so very little traffic. They seem to be all ready built when bought and owners (in no way do I mean this is a bad way) tend to be snobbish. Probably because Roadsters are so expensive, exclusive and rare. There's a clique attitude, and MG and Jag owners are the same. 

So welcome Andy, to Ratsun. Maybe you can dispel my opinion of Roadsters and their owners... :lol:  Looking forward to pictures and much more information from you in succeeding posts and will follow along. Right now I'm going to go through any build threads.

Hey Andy,

For most of us, Datsun culture runs deeper than the model. I grew up in Mission Hills SD and drove 510s all through the 80s. Once bitten though, that was the only car for me, so I totally get the obsession. Chances are, you know other roadster guys too, so bring them here and make a community. I came from the510realm.com, which has a culture of preservation more than modification. The relationship I've always had with my 510s has been about performance, so I came here. Much more fun. Welcome to Ratsun Andy