Datsun b210 gauges.

Akujin

Just wondering if it's possible to remove the dashboard and give it a brand new set of gauges ahead of its time or at least something newer than what it has. A different look with newer parts.

Another question is... My fuel gauge has stopped working and it's difficult to find an original replacement fuel pump. Can i change the tank to a newer model or just micky mouse it as some would say. Would a different fuel pump and gauge fit i have no idea how it works... sadly.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah that thing, the sending unit. Tried to order a few long ago but i could never find a replacement. We did some micky mouse stuff to it and it worked for a while but then failed again. No i don't have a manual. Seeing as how it's so hard to replace the sending unit i figured then just replace the whole system and make it easier... more costly sure but easier... is that possible?

Does the TEMP gauge still work?

1/ Yes... go to next question.

2/ no.... the fuse is blown or the shared gauge voltage regulator is at fault and needs cleaning

3/ Find the wire to the sender and ground it with the key on. Two things...

a/ The gauge reads FULL....... the meter in the dash is working. Go to next question.

b/ The gauge does not read.... gauge or the wire from the tank to the gauge is bad. OR the tank is not grounded properly.

4/ Run a wire from a good ground to the tank.

c/ Gauge reads..... tank was poorly grounded. Check the plug for corrosion, check the ground or make a new one.

d/ Gauge still does not read... possibly the sender is bad and should be removed and examined. All senders are (more or less) the same. Some are side mount, some are top. Get a similar one and bend, adjust the float to closely match what you have. 

Likely the VR is in one of the gauges. It looks like a small set of points with contacts ans a small white wire wound around one of them. When contacting current flows heating the wire, this bends the contact away breaking the contact, it cools and makes contact. This fluttering on and off provides about 7-8 volts for the gauges to work on and this avoids the gauges reading lower when the alternator is charging less at idle that when revved up or if other accessories are on.

620instvoltreg.jpg

This is the 620 temp gauge and the V/R it shares with the gas gauge. Just fold a strip of fine emmory paper and slip between the points and draw out to clean the contacts.

Well i dont have emory paper but i do have jewelers polishing cloth. it's a 12,000 grit... not sure if it's doing anything it seems too fine of a grit. Do you have a grit recommendation?

oh nevermind, it left a silvery residue and it's now shiny... maybe i should keep going a bit more

I see another problem with my temp gauge, the white wire seems to be broken and is just hanging about at one end.

Well i got my soldering gun and i'm still not quite sure where it goes. As I examined it i found a wire protruding from a spot where one of the black wires were connected. I stripped the white wire and it seems to be the same size but i'm not sure if it's the black wires wire or the white one. The white wire barely reaches this spot. The other spot i feel it goes is were the other black wire is connected. The white wire is bent as if that's where it goes... but it could have been bent by someone or something. So i'm not sure where to place the wire ...  You could see the wire i found protruding on the second image. It's very faint and blends in with the light grey metal in the back. Very easy to miss. It also shows on the third picture. In the background of the white wire, right where it bends there's a small wire passing horizontally in the background.