Trouble getting the truck to start

puravidaFC

I own a 73 datsun 620.......I'm fairly new to the Datsun game and this past week my Alternator gave out for the 2nd time in 3-4 months got a new one installed it and got the battery charged as well.... i turn the ignition and it tries to start but it doesn't seem like it's getting enough power? yesterday i felt the starter after trying to crank it a few times and it felt warm what can i do?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you charge the battery to 100% after having a failed alternator?  Jump starting may not be enough.  

Has the ignition system had a tune-up?  

What is the problem?  Slow cranking or just not firing?  Two entirely separate problems.  

yes battery was charged to 95% I'm gonna check the carb today it cranks but it never fully starts 

Next check the firing order to make sure all the plug wires are hooked up right. Check the timing. Remove the air filter, hit the throttle a few times. Does it spray fuel in the carb? Is the fuel in the sight glass?

thanks ill look into it today, it does sound like it's not getting enough gas to get it to start

if plug wires where not touched and was running before than thats not it.

week alternators and battery not start issues can be batter cable dirty or cracked.

not getting enough power is not a goord description. It cranks or it don't.  weak crank clean battery /cable

if everything is timed and has gas it will fire. Compression needs to be checked I would do a valve lash check and make sure the carb and intake bolts are tight.

Other than changing the alternator have you done anything else that might have caused this. Did you remove anything that might not have been put back on right?

You need two things to run and they are easy to check for.

Gas and spark.

Gas. Look down the carb holding the choke open and pump the gas pedal. You should see a strong squirt of fuel. Look at the glass on the front of the carb. Gas should be up to the line. Is the choke closed?

Spark. Pull a plug wire off and put an old spark plug in the end, lay on a grounded surface. Crank engine over with starter. You should see a spark jumping the gap.

• 4 weeks later...