1971 wagon a.k.a. The Flying Hen!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The easy way would be an axle flip, to flip the axle from over leaf to under the leaf spring.

Right, otherwise they would be lowering blocks. I have 3" blocks on mine and axle wrap was a problem. I'm curious if blackdeath had to use any blocks to get the lift he desired and if so how will spring wrap be combatted.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Decisions, decisions. About the motor... L16 or KA?

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5923.jpg

I was told the L16 ran, but have never heard for myself. I cleaned up and redid the gaskets on the stock L16, and put a new clutch behind it and also adjusted valves. I did a compression test and it had good and even compression so I dont see why it wouldnt run. I would just need to rebuild the stock carb, or, I do have a weber on the shelf that I could use, but that is also questionable if it needs rebuilding. I have heard webers are very simple. This is currently in the car.

I came up on a KA24de full swap (motor, wiring harness, ecu) a little while back when my buddy went SR on his 240sx. I know this motor runs, it was his daily. Unknown mileage. Would also be pretty cool in my 521.

Since the wagon project is experimental at this stage, I wonder if I want to go through the extra cost and trouble of doing a motor swap, maybe only to find out its frightening to drive! Then I also wonder If i'll go through equal amount of hell trying to get this old L motor running... I have never put an EFI motor in anything and something about getting it all wired/hooked up intimidates me. The KA would also allow me to potentially run power steering since the pump is still there but I'd have to source the rack.

about the tires... 27x8.5 14

I was very limited on selection 14" all terrains. It was between these and BFG. These were cheaper so that made the decision easy.

IMG_5956.jpg

http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/datrat666/media/IMG_5955.jpg.html

• Like 2

i think the l16 will move it just fine... at least to drive it. 

swap a 3rd member from a truck in it with some 437s... it would move just fine then.. just have to swap the side spider gears from the 510 3rd member to the truck 3rd member. 

this is getting interesting... 

• Like 3

The test fit....

IMG_6005.jpg

IMG_6004.jpg

IMG_6003.jpg

IMG_6002.jpg

It is just the look I was hoping for! Ready to terrorize the neighborhood. Making a little clearance now....

IMG_6064.jpg

IMG_6065.jpg

Here's a guy I know, think his name is Aaron with a KA swap and went with rack and pinion. I think This might be the answer.

IMG_6059.jpg

IMG_6060.jpg

I am in the process of fabricating new LCA's thare are 1.5" to 2" longer. It will widen the front track with a bit and correct the positive camber  issue I inherited with the lift. I should have more progress on that to come soon!

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Aww man sad not to see this thing get finished in Blackdeth666's hands. One of the builds here I was most interested in. Did you grab any shots of the axle flip in the rear?