Wiring a Z24 in 75 620

TasoZ24

Sorry if this has been discussed but been researching for hours and would like to be involved in a discussion.

My poor Truck Norris ( '83 720 KC 2WD) is the proud organ donor to a '75 620. While waiting on the clutch, I'm trying to to get all the wiring sorted out for the dual coil and IR alternator. I have wiring diagrams to trace but cant find any information on what has to be done. Any links or useful advise for me to get back on the road would be greatly appreciated.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, find each component you will use on the 2 diagrams and match them up- make copies and use color pens if needed.

For the dual coils, I recommend adding a relay.  On the 720 each coil was on a separate fuse.  You won't have that in the 620 unless you do major rewiring.  Feed the existing ignition wire (12v to ballast) to a relay (omitting the ballast), which then feeds both coils.

The IR alternator has been discussed and there's a topic already on that with diagrams.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

To convert the 620 's external regulated wiring to work with the Z24's IR alternator do the following...

Remove the external regulator.

Cut the wires to it as far as possible from the plastic plug.

I poked mine out so they were easier to get at.

710IRaltswap012Large.jpg

Trim the insulation from, join and solder the solid White and the solid Yellow together

Now do the same to the White/Red and White/Black stripe wires.

710IRaltswap013Large.jpg

Be sure to use heat shrink tubing on them, tape is barely ok.

When done assemble and this plug fits neatly onto the harness plug

710IRaltswap015Large.jpg

Last... This mod will permanently power the choke relay even with the key OFF and over a weekend it will discharge your battery. Disconnect the choke relay and or remove it. The electric choke now has now power supply so...

Go to the back of the carb and splice the Blue choke heater wire onto the Red idle cut solenoid wire right next to it. Oh yeah,  this is a Z24... well ,there will be a choke wire and an idle cut solenoid wire just join the choke to it. Now the choke is powered only when the ignition is ON.

Awesome thanks Mike. Once i get this engine cradled ill be on it. For now ive got these engine brackets...20150919_161943_zps8lvmlk8c.jpg

Driver side says Z18Y passenger has Z22 and the tabs dont line up with the holes on mounts. these look familiar?

No engine hoist either so its hard with me a buddy and a tractor.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. Been working myself out of a funk since the accident. Working on these trucks got my arm working again and my broke neck aint too broke anymore. Looking at all these pretty truck and hard work is inspiring.

• Like 2

I have the 38 Weber carb so no idle cut solenoid just choke wire.

as for the dual coils, pretty much just replace ballast with relay and plug n play?

Throw ballast away.

Join ignition ON and START signal wires together and connect these to the + side of both coils and one to the distributor to power the module inside. Run a wire each from both coil - terminals to the two distributor connections. Sorry I don't know exactly how these three wires connect.... different years had different color wires.

Be sure to use 720 coils or EI coils if from an earlier vehicle. Points coils won't do, and will fry.

• Like 1