Angelia's 67 RL411 project..

Farmer Joe

well, by popular demand its time to start a thread for the 411... 

i kind of decided to put the KA from my 620 in the 411 to get the project rollin. 

it was going to end up with an l20b and a Z car 4 speed, but i have the KA on hand, so thats whats goin in it. 

also gonna complete the 210 suspension swap now that i have an engine to build it around. 

ive already ripped the whole frontend out of an 81 210. ive already figure out how much track width i have to take out of the 210 suspension to make it "fit" in the 411. ill go into more detail as i go along. 

but on to the car!

its a 67 rl411 4 door. came with the r16 and the 3 speed bw auto trans. its got a super nice interior thats completely stock. the interior was the only reason i said it would be okay to get it. 

20140818_184138_HDR_zpseigopw37.jpg

20140818_185719_HDR_zpswkhrnnjo.jpg

we picked it up about a year or so ago. it used to belong to a family of a friend i went to high school with. it sat in there yard all though the time i was in high school up to about 4 years ago when we found it on CL. 

went to buy it from them, and theyd already gotten rid of it. 

couple more years go by and it pops up on the list again. this time its all taken apart and the whole stock front suspension was fucked. 

and this is where we get to the now. 

like mentioned before, i picked up a frontend out of a 210, since 411 suspension parts are near impossible to find and expensive as hell. figured 210 stuff should be a bit easier to find parts for, and 510 or Z car parts could be converted to work with it once it was built. 

so, now its time to get down to workin on it finally. im gonna yank the KA, get the truck parked, and start mocking up the crossmember and suspension..

this is where ill dump all that ooey gooey goodness from the build. 

more to come....

• Like 7
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know 411 is set up for a-arms, not struts. I did a subframe modification for an A- series you can see pictures on my build. I'm sure you've checked the kA-swap 411 build that was on here... Good luck!

for sure on the front suspension. ive already yanked out the front subframe for the 411. 

gonna start making the 210 crossmember fit the 411. ill also have to build strut towers since we're converting to the newer suspension. 

i need to find the the measurements i took down before the garage turned into a mess. ill get that posted up here soon. 

Hey man are you gonna throw the old suspension stuff away or maybe trade for a less banged up drivers fender i may or may not have,,,,,,,,, in baby blue?

i still have the frontend... 

the guy that had it before us really fucked up every balljoint and tierod tho... obviously didnt know what a pickle fork was.. 

20150207_151744_HDR_zpsgup2zdbb.jpg

maybe ill bring it to canby next year, if there is one? 

i did find another picture of the 210 suspension under the car....

20150207_151840_HDR_zpsejoos8ee.jpg

it sorta fits... lol

got a lot of work ahead..

• Like 2

okie dokie.. 

found the paper work in the garage finally... 

most of this is pretty rough, but pretty close.

411 guys correct me if im wrong. 

wms to wms on the 411 is close to 49.5 inches

wms to wms on the 210 is close to 55.5 inches

distance between stock 210/b310 struts is 35.5 inches

im going to take 4 inches out of the center of the crossmember, steering center link and the distance between the struts. 

next is the difference in the way the 411 subframe bolts on, and the 210 crossmember bolts on. 

the thing im still trying to figure out is where the 210 crossmember will mount on the 'frame rails' of the 411. the forward to aft location. gonna have to use the 411 subframe to get a reference of where the the old axle center line was. 

since the 210 crossmember bolts on from the bottom on the 210, it isnt going to work like that on the 411. my idea was to use some angle iron on the top of the 210 crossmember that will end up riding snugly inside the frame rails on the 411 chassis. if theres room on the outside of the crossmember, ill add another piece of steel to make it 'clamp' onto the frame. this was itll still drop out if need be. 

sorta like this...

BOMSlgwh.jpg

thats about all i got for the front suspension right now. if i can get an oil pan from a single cam 240sx, then i wont have to flip the crossmember or mess with the steering.

more to come. 

• Like 1

With the removal of the 4in from the cross member is that going to also move your motor mounts in or you going to push those 2in out on each side, so with that in mind, it looks by you picture of the 210 suspension that's going to place your motor mounts rite in the area that you want to fabricate to mount to the frame, maybe one idea would be to remove the motor mounts all together get the 210 suspension mounted where it needs to be, mount the mounts to the motor! dry fit it in, than can adjust the mounts as needed to fit

From one Farmer to another

• Like 1

you correct man... good thinkin

lookin at it now, im prolly gona toss those stock 210 motormount uprights. when it comes down to it, that crossmember might end up with DOM tubing as the middle when its done so i have more room for the front sump. 

we will see...

nice to see people are readin the thread tho!

• Like 2

That is in your thread???  I don't remember seeing those pictures before right this second,

Or am i stupid?

Why does your lower ball joint look so new??

Here what mine looked like when I first started modding it..
image_zpsrbsjzjvb.jpg

And further down the line...
image_zpselieqgvb.jpg

I rebuilt my lower control arms to work with my airbags. At that point I switched to 510 ball joints even though I had a set of NOS 410... Now I can just go to Napa if I ever need to replace.

So!  What's the status of those NOS 410 ball joints?  My 48 year old units have been very well cared for but most probably won't last another 60 years.

okie dokie.. 

i tidied up a little. made a scrap run. got rid of a bunch of shit. 

cfrii4hh.jpg

Spk5TMyh.jpg

and then proceeded to tear the 210 suspension apart to work on it. 

bq28aAch.jpg

XqlmhONh.jpg

HpVYAIsh.jpg

aXug3qOh.jpg

Ukkm33Xh.jpg

decided i dont want to take the 4in out of the center of the crossmember.. going to see if i can do it on either side of the C shape in the member, so the front sump pan still fits nice. 

more to come..

Looks like two inch cut on each side of the bend where the existing mounts were, looks feasible

Do you think it would be easier to cut the bend out, than figure out the cross member to the frame mount first

Than once you have the frame mount with the arms in the rite place, put the cut out c-bend piece up to it mark,cut it,weld it done

Looking good

Keep up the work

Farmer

• Like 1

I like where you're going with this, but I'm wondering what your plans are for the upper strut mounts.

Obviously, there's nothing structural anywhere near where they will end up on the 411. They also intrude into the engine bay a fair amount.

I modeled doing this with a Geo Metro front end (light, cheap, narrrow, same bolt patter as 411) and the center of the struts at the top was 18" from the centerline of the car. By the time you have sufficent structure up there, a dual brake master cylinder is getting crowded and the battery is somewhere else.

Best,

Jesse.

• Like 1

well have some good news to add... 

going to be pickin up a KA24e and 5 speed for this project.. going fuel injection on this one so its easier for the ol' lady to drive... 

should be pickin the stuff up here in the next week or so.. its gonna be neat!

I like where you're going with this, but I'm wondering what your plans are for the upper strut mounts.

Obviously, there's nothing structural anywhere near where they will end up on the 411. They also intrude into the engine bay a fair amount.

I modeled doing this with a Geo Metro front end (light, cheap, narrrow, same bolt patter as 411) and the center of the struts at the top was 18" from the centerline of the car. By the time you have sufficent structure up there, a dual brake master cylinder is getting crowded and the battery is somewhere else.

Best,

Jesse.

im going to build some sorta non intrusive strut towers.. i need to check the stock 210 again for the distance between the struts. if i remember correctly, its 31.5ish stock, and i have to take 4 inches out of that. so we should be somewhere around 27.5in between the towers when its done. more than enough room for a single cam KA i hope... should stil be enough room to get a dual master in it, but we'll see.. 

more to come!