15 ENKEI COMPE

T2eC16RzEE9s3YPBQ3JwTNT9--60_12.jpg

I'm ordering a set of these for my 72 510, so if you have feedback on these rims I'd be much obliged for any info.

The car is not flared, but has  rolled and pounded inner shoulder rear fenders with slight 2X4 method flare. Troy Ermish coil overs front and rear on Z struts. I'm getting 15X7 25+ offset, so I may have to us a slight spacer 8mm in the front, but Troy assured me the rear will tuck nicely. He built the chassis so I trust him. 

Thanks fellow rats

• Like 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The car is not flared, but has  rolled and pounded inner shoulder rear fenders with slight 2X4 method flare. Troy Ermish coil overs front and rear on Z struts. I'm getting 15X7 25+ offset, so I may have to us a slight spacer 8mm in the front, but Troy assured me the rear will tuck nicely. He built the chassis so I trust him. 

Definitely need an 8-10mm spacer up front. Wouldn't hurt to put one in the back also, but purely for aesthetics.  :thumbup:

Thanks DaFreak. good to have that confirmed.

Anyone know about the quality? I must say, some esthetic things I like, and dislike compared to Rota RBs. The Compes look more refined and polished the way the spokes flow into the center hub. I also like the low profile of the rim lip, but I'm not so psyched on all the little 90 degree struts around the outer edge. Maybe it's a matter of struts enable the low profile. Not much choice right now in classic 8 spoke rims with this configuration. Not a single RB in the country, and Rota won't ;et Au shops ship product to the US. God damn tariffs, trade agreements, and regulation be fuck'n my game.

Anyone know about the quality?

Quality is top notch.  :thumbup:

I also like the low profile of the rim lip, but I'm not so psyched on all the little 90 degree struts around the outer edge. Maybe it's a matter of struts enable the low profile.

They are modeled after the '70s-era Enkei rally wheels, but have been softened a bit around the center.

And tastes were different back then, so...   ^_^

DSC03088.jpg

• Like 3

VTO rims, Sold through FutoFab.

I checked with Dave and the +25 offset is backordered right now. Would also require custom drilled bolt pattern in that configuration, so the set would be like $1100 with tax and shipping. I got the Enkeis shipped for $545.  

I always chuckle to myself when I hear folks saying to use a 15x7 +0 wheel on a "stock" 510 because of what you need to do to pull it off.

To "fit" the 15x7 +0 you need to run a stretched 185 or narrower tire with excessive camber and rolled stock fenders.

From my background of building/driving racecars sacrificing handling for a "look" is counterintuitive. I strive for performance in my builds which means matching rim width to tire section width and using camber settings that optimize handling.

I wouldn't be satisfied driving a 510 that needed to compromise handling just to run on 15x7 +0 wheels. Others have different goals for their ride than I do and that is fine with me.

• Like 3

Got it. I'll bet the +17 in front is key. I know from first hand experience you can't stuff a 15X7 0 offset rim in the front without some serious money business. The fact is you did what you needed to and pulled it off.  :thumbup:

YOU NEED TO INSTALL THOSE "soon to be installed" GOODIES MAN.

you can't stuff a 15X7 0 offset rim in the front without some serious money business. 

280ZX struts and 2.5 degrees of negative camber with a 195/50-15 (far from "stretched"). 

Rewind_510.jpg

It is really neither expensive, nor difficult. Just a bit of a compromise if you come from a "race car" mindset. 

Rear is same tire and rolled lips, no camber correction. 

• Like 1

I'm all about function over form, the only part of my car that I got for the looks was the wheels, and as a bonus the work well too. I'm not going to argue with Dave about anything, he has been doing this a lot longer and a lot better than myself. All I can do is tell you what I have and whether it works or not.