Losing Revs on highway

Kyokutou

Ratsun let me start by saying Hi and that I need your help

I am a very proud owner of a freshly imported 1970 RHD 4dr Bluebird. 4 speed with L16 w/ twin carbs.

I've been driving the car for a month now. 

The first week the car ran perfect. 

Week 2 the idle was different.  The car drove perfect the idle just sounded/felt different. 

Week 3 one morning (After 20mins) on the highway while traveling uphill the car loses revs until cuts outs. 

Week 4 3 days (both Morning/Afternoon) the car repeated the same issue on the highway on all inclines

So after I pullover on the highway and turnoff/stall the car I'm able to restart the car.  If I’m still on an uphill the car won’t accelerate it'll start but it just struggles.  On flat and downhill the car runs great, it'll rev all the way through the gears.

I posted a vid on YouTube so you can see the motor at idle (it has a rattle from the heat shield)

https://youtu.be/xx7h4OeN_WE

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, welcome to Ratsun.

What you describe... the losing RPMs and cutting out... seems to only happen under load conditions where the demand for fuel is greatest, like on the highway and climbing hills. The simplest, cheapest, easiest and likeliest fix, is to replace your gas filter. Looks like an electric pump so there should be one between it and the tank. What happens is the filter clogs slowly and chokes of full fuel flow. There is enough for idle and light level around town driving but the harder you drive, the carbs use the fuel faster than it can be sucked past the filter and it cuts out. Now it may not be this, but it's a $4 filter you can change with a screwdriver yourself to find out.

BTW the L16SSS engine in the 510 Coupe used dual Hitachi SU side drafts.

Also more pictures of your car would be nice.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response.  I will head out to the parts store and replace the inline fuel filter.

I know the previous owner in Japan had the car off the road for the last eight years. I cleaned the Air filters they were really dirty.

Any ideas on why this hose is plugged?  It is 1 of the 2 that come up from the 2 hardlines (fuel).  One goes to the pump the other is just plugged.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83722230@N00/20394407453/in/album-72157657562647700/

Thanks again

Is there a fuel pressure gauge  ? Mikunis are sensitive to fuel pressure.Also pull the jet covers off and check for loose jets.I have to check the jets on mine constantly.I know when they're loose,it starts coughing and running rough.

No fuel pressure gauge. 

The coughing and running rough sounds like what started after the first week I was driving the car.

If the filter was in line the carbs should be fine. The tank is another story. Hope you bought extra filters. Best to drive the car and just run everything through it. Seafoam.... meh. I don't believe in additives.

I guess I'll order a bunch of inline filters. LOL.

Can I get the tank cleaned out or do I need to plan on trying to replace it?   

Try the new filter and if it plugs up in a short time, maybe then it should be removed and cleaned out.

If you have a return line maybe get it working. This circulates fuel at all times and the tank contents are filtered and cleaned constantly. Tank stays cleaner.

• Like 1

Is there a fuel pressure gauge  ? Mikunis are sensitive to fuel pressure.Also pull the jet covers off and check for loose jets.I have to check the jets on mine constantly.I know when they're loose,it starts coughing and running rough.

THAT^^^ you might also invest in a jets set, I run a 48mm single side draft mikuni on my L20b and ran the 130 on high, on certain days it would starve for fuel on high, I ordered the next 3 sizes (going to order 134, 135, 136) and depending on the weather I do need to swap them out, they are excellent carbs but very sensitive, I love it and won't trade it for anything!

IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0319.jpg

I would open the top of the carb cover and pull the jets out and clean them.

Every time I have cut out issues my jet block unscrews itself. making it look like a ignition proplem.

Most 510s dont get lots of rust in the fuel filter as the tank is inside.

I'll have to try this next.  The car cut out on me again when driving home today . 

The number 1 and 2 plugs are at the front of the engine. That is the engine block size stamp. What I'm looking for is the raised casting numbers on the aluminum head. Something like this...

IMG00081-20110101-1346-1.jpg

Sorry I don't have anything between Plug 1&2.  In front of #1 there is a large "M".   The closest marking I have to the example is on the front of the head.

21049655355_910e97323d_b.jpg

20861539780_d8e8a462d3_b.jpg

The only other stamping I have on the head is on the intake flange that connects to the carbs

That's a 219 head and came stock on the L16SSS. It has closed combustion chamber and to keep the compression up flat top pistons are installed. The head has 1.5" intake ports.(nice) I just wondered as the intake and carbs are not the standard ones for that engine.

• Like 1