My Napz motor is fried and I'm thinkin L24 in my Goon??

So my Napz engine is gone and i really like the idea of putting in an L24 or something along the lines of inline 6, NA, and definitely carbed haha BUT ive also got a pretty good starting base on a L16 that just needs a new timing chain tensioner and new piston rings (she smokes like a diesel if you push it...sad face ha) and new seals and gaskets. Im just unsure about the measurements of the new shifter location with the L24? and can i simply cut my tranny hump at my fire wall and bring it back will that impede too much on my foot space and pedal room? Or do i rebuild my L16 and spend a little cash on some upgrades to make maybe 150hp? i dont know and im really stumped and been like this for about a month :/ any help or guidance would be very awesome!!

Thanks Guys!! 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely not! A viable engine swap it one that fits the car. Making the car fit the engine is just plain wrong. The L24 is 8-10" too long. On top of that it's boat anchor heavy and will fuck up the 510's handling.

What you want with an engine swap is one with more power but not much increase in weight. The good news is you have a tired L16 so even rebuilding it will be an improvement. All other L series 4 cylinders will make more power.

Why 150 hp? Is this just a number off the top of your head? Have you driven in a 510 with an L20B? maybe with a cam and twin carbs? What about an LZ hybrid 2.2 or 2.4? These are 'stroker' L series using a larger Z series bottom and an L head. Increased displacement means increased low speed torque and that what slams you back in the seat when you step on it. Easy for anyone to build with limited knowledge and experience and THEY FIT!!! No cross member flipping, no motor mount problems, no having to source a rack and pinion steering, no oil pan modifications and later stronger L28 5 speeds fit them.....

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

i have 2 goons and i want 1 to be a racecar (ready for comments on that one ha) and one to be a simple daily, but i think it would be cool to have the same engine in both but one of them low key reliable and the other maybe pushin some good race power? 200hp? 300hp? if i want that am i better off EFI and turbo? ah crap im rambling!! BUT FOR THE DAILY i should do the l16 rebuild? i just am concerned about mix matchin enigne parts like swapin the head off of a KA motor to the Naps for more compression?( thats off the top of my head and is probs wrong haha) but you get what i mean. sorry about the answer lag!! 

Thanks Guys!