Disc brake conversion

Nismo_s14

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nismo and welcome to Ratsun. Over on the upper right of the page under the 510 is our search function. If it's been done it will be there. This is more efficient than everyone replying with what they did and then it will only be those who see this or bother to answer. Type in  " 320 truck disc brake swap" and see what comes up. I believe Mklotz70 has done some pioneering work on disc brakes for these little trucks. Look through the 320 section and Datto Projects .

• Like 3

Sorry mklotz. I know you probably hate me by now...

I am going to point out, again, that bolting on disc brakes to an archaic suspension design is not the way I would tackle the problem. For the OP, I have addressed this problem, but I added an improved suspension geometry and balljoints at the same time. It may not be up everyone's alley, but here's the link if you would like to see.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34698-320-balljoint-conversion/

And here's a random pic of the finished product.

320_Datsun_Frame_Clip_Install_132.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Happened across this by accident. lol   I'm not subscribed to much on Ratsun these days.....hardly have enough time to keep up on my own stuff.

flatcat19.....thanks! :)

Stoff Moto.......  Not sure why you think I'd hate you by now, unless there's a lot of other threads like this out there. lol  Your frame clip mod was awesome!!  Absolutely better!!   Even though your method is way better......it's hardly an option for the vast majority of kingpin truck owners.  If it were the only option, we'd simply have a lot more trucks running drums.....or not on the road....or wrecked.....or scrapped.  There's hardly any shops that would do the mod and even fewer that would do it affordably.  As for the discs on archaic suspensions....you're right, but the huge majority of custom cars and hot rods out there are running disc brake kits on stock suspensions.  I can't remember the last time I saw a customized '32 Ford running drum brakes.  A suspension with worn out ball joints is still worse than a truck with good kingpins.  My take is the brakes are a safety upgrade.....the suspension is a comfort and handling upgrade.  Sure, there's some safety benefit in extreme situations with the better suspension, but in everyday driving, the brakes are by far the most noticeable improvement.

Thanks for putting the link to your build....I went and read it again.....so much awesome!!!!  Did the ackerman angle work out to be right?  The shorter wheel base probably moved the rear end forward enough to compensate for the 3" narrowing. 

Too bad you're in CA.....I'd probably consider buying that frame clip to use like the 520 one I have here....testing/measuring and mock up.

Rear discs.....I have acquired a rear end to help with mock up.  I think I might just put Mend up on stands and yank the rear wheels off so I can start getting some measurements.  :)

• Like 2

You're right, options are always a good thing. I consider myself the consummate Devil's advocate. When there is a discussion that I have experience with, I feel the need to share my expereinces. However unpopular.

The ackerman angle was definitely not a probloem on this truck. I wish I could have had another running 320 here after the conversion for a direct back to back driving comparison. The new suspension really is an improvement in many regards.

• Like 1

I don't doubt one bit that the ride is a huge improvement.....I was just pointing out that when it comes to the cost versus benefit, ball joints are going to be waaaay down the list compared to disc brakes on the stock suspension.  The brake kit installation can be done by the owner without special tools....in a few hours......all in is roughly $450-600 depending on components used.  A couple of shops have installed kits for customers without issue.  I think you'd have a much harder time finding a shop to do the frame swap.....even harder finding one that would do it right and as nicely as you did.  It's unrealistic to think that people could send you their rigs for you to do...unless they're local.  Sadly.....the average truck owner doesn't have the funds to do a swap like yours.  If they did......we'd be building custom frames to simply swap under. :)   Hmm.....wouldn't that be cool!!!  Anyway.......your swap is in an entirely different league than my kit, so it's a pretty easy choice between the two.  If they've got the $'s.....I'd point them toward you in a heart beat.  Sorry.....this is a long winded way to explain why there's no reason for me to be upset with you in any way for pointing people toward the frame swap option.  Heck....I've sent a lot of people to beebani if I know they're running bigger rims......his kit is the cheapest way to put discs on a truck.  Now, if you're telling everyone my kit sucks.....meh......I'll just have a good chuckle every time I ship another one out. :)  We're all good as far as I'm concerned. :)

• Like 2

Mike the quality and fit of your brake kit plus the extra to upgrade to 720 hubs and bearings is the only way to go when doing a disk brake upgrade in my opinion. I did the 720 frame swap on my 66 520 and it was work but once I get it dialed in I will be very happy I did it.  This happened after I did the Mike Klotz disc brake swap to my 520 chassis. One thing I found out is my 66 520 upper control arms are smaller (narrower) than the 521 upper control arms.

The way Stoffregren Motorsports did the frame clip swap on the 320 was great.  I talked with him about doing my 520 and it was ought of my budget so that is why I did the 720 frame swap.  Also because I did not want to crush another 720 frame, Gene wanted it out of his back yard.

• Like 2

The clip is not as expensive as you might think at around $3000 for the install. That vs $600 for your upgrade, it's easy to see why you're so popular.

There are times I wish I worked on more of these old mini trucks. They are so simple as compared to the trucks I work on every day. I could do that frame clip in my sleep.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments guys and Mike, don't think I'm on the defensive (or offensive for that matter), we're just having a good debate. Your argument is solid and I'm surprised ALL of the 320's out there don't have your brakes on them.

In the meantime, I still have this frame clip. I'd love to get rid of it...

• Like 2

Awesome! I agree....great debate!!  Same here....neither defensive or offensive(hmmm......at least not offensive here!!!.....plenty offensive in other ways! lol ) 

These old trucks are nice and simple......but they're also pretty limited in numbers.  The market just isn't big enough.

I was thinking $2500-3000,  Well worth it for an owner that wants to daily drive his rig.  The "all in" price of $600 is on the high side.  A savy scrapyard hunter can do it for a good bit less. 

Another nice thing about your swap......they can easily put dropped spindles on the front.

Good luck with that frame clip!  I've got 3 kingpin clips here now I need to pull parts off of and get rid of the rest! lol 

• Like 2

LOL!!!!  If you did, it's not true.  I have an extra rearend here now and I'm hoping to start on them soon, but I haven't yet.  I will probably NOT go with the Trooper stuff unless I can get it to work with stock rims somehow.  My goal is to fit the stock 14's and have a working parking brake setup.  So....I guess the first thing is to mock up the Trooper stuff and see exactly why it doesn't fit.  I figured it out and set it up years ago......but I don't remember any details.  Anyway.........Mike 1, rumor 0. :)

• Like 3
  • 9 months later...

I guess it depends on how far you want to take it.

There's the bolt on kit that Mklotz sells. It's super simple and very effective. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/11459-disc-brake-kits-521520320620/

Then there's the whole 720 front clip swap. I have done this and it really modernizes the whole front of the truck. Steering, suspension and brakes. There's also the possibility of power steering with the 720 clip, but then these trucks don't really need power steering.

Here's a link to a build I did a couple years ago.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34698-320-balljoint-conversion/

• Like 1