Vintage Racing Car-I want rust look

gira

Hey Guys,

Cool site. I am sorting my vintage 240Z to race it some in 2016 in HSR Vintage. Here, there are mostly rich guys in Porsches and they hate seeing the Datsuns, especially a well prepared and well driven one. So, I have a very nice vintage Z that I want to look like a rust bucket. Much of the cars body panels are not metal. I saw somewhere on the net one time a product that was a spray on of some sort that reacts with acid and then you clear coat over it.

Is anyone familiar with this or have any more ideas for me? The whiny Porsche guys will hate getting beat by this car even more.

Thanks in advance.

Greg Ira

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sand to bare metal.

Spritz with vinegar (let it air dry)

Make this mixture in a spray bottle (wear gloves and goggles):

• 16oz hydrogen peroxide
  • 2 oz white vinegar
  • 1/2 tbsp salt

Spray it multiple times - let it air dry

Let it sit without touching it until it looks the way you want and then rinse with water.

FWIW, I've never done this on a vehicle - only metal furniture pieces (table bases) - so after it looks like I want, i would hose it down, get it bone-dry and shoot it with a clear coat. You might just want to let it go and see what happens. Maybe you'll get faster as the rust holes get bigger.  ;)

• Like 1

There's a problem with the techniques mentioned...   ^_^

HO gauge model train shops used to sell a special paint mix called "Filth" to simulate the crap that builds up on rail cars due to dust, dirt and mud flung up on long hauls.  I wonder if it is still sold?

Lots of good information guys. BTW, I found a product you can buy in Europe that is really cool. It's called Rustique. First you apply and a black paint (it must contain iron of some sort) with a spray gun. Then after it dries you use a hand spray bottle to apply some acidic solution. It flash rusts, then you apply a mat clear over it to save it. It really looks cool.

I could not figure out how to get a picture on this forum. Sorry, can usually do it easily on other forums. The image tab wanted a URL. My pics are just in my hard drive.

Thanks guys.

Greg Ira

2013 SCCA National Champion.

Id tell you to read the Photobucket thread, but doing so still means I gotta post something. So since Im here typing for no reason, Imma actually tell you how it works:

Get Photobucket:

Open the program and upload all your pics from the hard drive

then click on the picture on photobucket

it will show the IMG code: click on it *copied*

paste here

• Like 1

Tendril,

Now you're talking! I have another car that's similar to this one that we're going to "rust" up. The orange car has too much history at this point. It will be retiring off the modern circuit this year and may race in some vintage. The livery it ends up with at Daytona this year, ( in three weeks) will be what it ends up with for the remainder of its life.

Cool pics. Road America and Sebring. 

Greg

• Like 1

I used "Sophisticated Finishes Instant Rust" .. you paint on a thick coat of grey paint, then use chemicals to make the paint rust. Just make sure you seal the paint underneath really well, because it starts to eat into the car and makes it rust. It's also VERY hard to remove and will stain your wheels/tires every time it rains.

14316740104_b499cab98c_c.jpg

14317359415_18f68b8cc4_c.jpg