Long Time Lurker - First Time Owner

datphu

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been working on the car here and there making slow progress where I can. I managed to get everything bolted up and down on the ground. It appeared I would have issues with the brake caliper and the tie rod bolt, so I swapped the passenger and driver side struts so that the calipers are in the front now. No more clearance issue.

ABFBF4B3-D107-4185-9164-F0BA745A390A.jpg

D030CFF6-A5FB-4EF3-879B-367655177144.jpg

I ended up getting a Delrin idler arm bushing and figured I'd try using some needle thrust bearings as well, similar in theory to the kit that Troy Ermish sells (but for less money).

91C67025-6DB5-4BDC-AD5C-F67B79AAD0DD.jpg

I also decided to paint the brake calipers and hubs after cleaning them up.

0482AADA-7BE1-449D-94F1-699FDCAB92E2.jpg

Camber plates are set to the max negative setting to allow for as much fender clearance as possible. Looks like I'll need to roll the fenders in a bit to allow for more room.

8283AF5C-4910-4189-90BA-CF1E1B92003D.jpg

It currently has the rotors and brake pads from the donor strut setup. I mounted them up just to see how things would align, but I'm going to replace them. I haven't connected the brake line to the calipers yet as I'm still trying to decide if I want to attempt getting the old brake lines off and replacing them with the stainless lines I picked up. I gave up trying to remove them earlier in fear that I would just end up stripping the flare nut and would have to replace the hard line. I might just keep the stock rubber lines for now and replace them once I upgrade the master cylinder.

So the car is on the ground now and supporting it's own weight. It's sitting pretty low, but I like it. Will need to get the brakes finished before I can see how it actually drives being this low. Here's the before picture when I first got the car:

3DF0D1DD-2C7C-4150-A973-E56602216920.jpg

And here's how it looks now:

B7431052-2DAA-4954-A56F-1E4AC8F56192.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good!

Be sure to anti seize the threads on the coilovers.

Maybe not as much of an issue on the left coast, but on the east...

My fav. combo is superblue grease mixed with standard silver anti seize.  Works like a charm!

Take a pic of the stock wheels in the lower ride height.  You might just like :)

Thanks guys. As far as putting the stockers back on, I don't think they'll fit over the 280ZX calipers. That was the main reason for getting 15's, that and adding more rubber on the ground. Thanks for the advice about the anti-seize, but it doesn't rain much here so I don't think I'll be needing it. Also, I won't be driving it in the rain anyway.

New slotted rotors came in today. Now I just need to order the brake pads and speed bleeders.

E465D03A-681C-4320-8259-33620DC6AD4F.jpg

ooooOOOoooo, Sexy suspension goodies.  :w00t: I was just in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago visiting my folks. Also brought my 510 to the cruise'n Grand car show. If you have a free Friday afternoon you should check it out. There are a few local 510 guys there all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered some Porterfied R4-S pads/shoes for all four corners but so far just installed the fronts and bleed them. I'll do the rears later.

Just took it for the initial test drive after all the changes and it drove pretty good. For how low it is I don't hear much rubbing, even with the 15x7 +0 wheels and 195/50-15 tires. The steering feels much better but it still seems to be a bit vague on center. Only thing left is to rebuild the steering box but I don't think it's that bad to warrant that. Maybe that's just to be expected from a 48 year old car. My "eye-ball" alignment seems to have worked out ok because the car tracks pretty straight. And with the stock master cylinder, the brakes seem to be working well. I still need install the rear shoes and bed everything in so hopefully that should make them feel even better. I'll keep it like this for now and decide later if I want to upgrade to the 280Z master cylinder (and put on the new brake lines at the same time).

For now, it's back on the road... and I've been waiting eagerly for a while for that to happen. Not sure what's in store next, but I know I'm going to have a lot of fun enjoying it just the way it is.

• 2 months later...

Not much to update, but I did do some fine tuning to the alignment and seems to be better now. Still haven't installed the rear Porterfield R4-S shoes but the brakes are feeling better after being bedded and broken in. Even with the stock master cylinder I'm able to lock up the wheels when I want to and have decent braking distance. I really heated up the rotors and pads during my braking tests and the caliper paint is still holding up. I've been driving it to work at least once a week and it's been great.

Ok, I think I know what spacer you're referring to, it's on the underside of the fender well. I called it the washer but I think that's the thick spacer that you're talking about. I kept everything there that was supplied by T3.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you make it the Datsuns and coffee monthly meets?

The one at Carmel Mountain? I want to, but just haven't been able to make it just yet. But eventually I will make it, hopefully for the next one.