WHYYYY NOOWWW

DatMo

Can you shift the car as it sits?

My dogleg could get into 3rd-5th at any moment with the car off. 2nd most of the time, and 1st was rare.

You should be able to tell the difference of neutral vs in gear. Neutral has a lot of sideways slop.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you shift the car as it sits?

My dogleg could get into 3rd-5th at any moment with the car off. 2nd most of the time, and 1st was rare.

You should be able to tell the difference of neutral vs in gear. Neutral has a lot of sideways slop.

It's only going into 1st and 2nd. Yes I know what neutral is.

Correct me if I have anything wrong, I'm trying to clarify what we're all reading.

Your engine runs. Your intention was to drive the car onto a trailer. When you put the car in gear to drive it onto said trailer, nothing happened. The car did not even try to move.

You have jacked up the rear end to spin the tires. One tire spins in the opposite direction of the other when spun and they are off the ground. Doing this also spins the driveshaft.

You have jacked up the front tires and they spin. So you know none of the wheels are actually stuck.

When installing the drive shaft, you turned the crank to turn the trans to align the splines between trans and shaft. And since the trans turned, we assume it was in gear and that it was working properly.

Everything I say from here on out is based on the above. If I got something wrong, what follows may be useless. :)

If you turn the tires, the driveshaft will turn. Period. Parts inside the trans will also move. Period. Being in neutral only means you aren't trying to turn the engine over as well.

When you start the car to drive it, is it in neutral everytime? Or do you start it in gear? What happens if you put it in gear, don't push in the clutch, and try to start it?

If you can start it in gear and it will move, but not from neutral, drive it around in first for a couple minutes, then try again. No idea what causes it, but sometimes the clutch appears not to work when freshly installed and driving it somehow cures that. Happened on my z24 truck and took forever to figure out. Found the answer on a Mitsubishi forum. Apparently more common with those?

Go buy synchromax for trans fluid. It's a manual trans fluid, safe for yellow metals (the important aspect of gl4), found in every parts store, and not terribly expensive. Also getting rave reviews from some of the gurus here on ratsun.

Bleeding your clutch is meaningless if starting your car in gear doesn't make the car move.

Here is how you narrowbit down to the trans, unbolt the drive shaft from the diff and hang out up under the car with a looped zip tie or something. If the car will roll with the driveshaft disconnected then its something with the transmission/clutch area.

Is there anything in the rear that is hitting the body anywhere? Tire hitting the fender well or the driveshaft wedged against the tunnel?

Clutches are engaged at rest so if the hydraulic system is not bled the worst that can happen is the clutch is engaged all the time.

You don't say why the tranny is empty or the clutch needs bleeding but I'll assume the transmission was out maybe to be replaced or a clutch change? ... but assuming the transmission is good and the clutch is working and you have no forward or reverse movement then you are not in gear. If the stock 4 speed then the shifter isn't connected...

There is enough friction and oil in a transmission that even in neutral the output will spin if you turn the input.

• Like 1

First, check if it has free play on the clutch pedal with your finger, if there is no free play, it is already pushing against the clutch.

Does it have a new clutch slave cylinder ?

If the pin that pushes the lever is too long it cause it to keep the clutch released.

Unbolt the slave cylinder and put it in gear and see if the driveshaft spins.

If that was the problem, shorten the pin a little at a time until it fits with no tension.

I used a bolt that was the same length to grind down then did the pin once i had the right length.

• Like 1

WTF, datmo? What's wrong with your car?

I don't know. Before installing driveshaft, I was able to move freely into all gears. After installing it, only first and second. I took driveshaft off today and it's an issue with the tranny. I don't know what happened for it to become stuck in gear when installing a driveshaft? When I turn the crank and it's in neutral, the driveshaft is moving which makes me believe it's stuck? I tried to rebleed my slave and now it has a leak as well so I'll have to fix that. I'm not sure what happened but I'm thinking I'm going to have to remove tranny and see what's wrong. I don't understand how installing a driveshaft could get it stuck and the tranny has had no fluids for only about a few days.

so after bolting up the driveshaft, the car will not move forward and I don't seem to be able to put the car in reverse however i have not bled my clutch etc.

with the car on the ground, it just jiggles a bit when being pushed but no forward or reverse movement. when I brought the wheels up, they turned pretty easy but one opposite of the other. I'm not sure what's wrong.

You said earlier that there was no movement of the vehicle when you tried to drive it.

I don't know. Before installing driveshaft, I was able to move freely into all gears. After installing it, only first and second. I took driveshaft off today and it's an issue with the tranny. I don't know what happened for it to become stuck in gear when installing a driveshaft? When I turn the crank and it's in neutral, the driveshaft is moving which makes me believe it's stuck? I tried to rebleed my slave and now it has a leak as well so I'll have to fix that. I'm not sure what happened but I'm thinking I'm going to have to remove tranny and see what's wrong. I don't understand how installing a driveshaft could get it stuck and the tranny has had no fluids for only about a few days.

Your last post says when in neutral and the crank is turned, the driveshaft turns.

These two statements seen to be at odds with each other. I said earlier that there is enough friction and sticky oil in a transmission to have some turning of the output even in neutral. Try holding the driveshaft against this friction by connecting it up to the differential and placing the tires on the ground and then turn the engine over. Does the car move forward or if stuck in reverse, back up??? 

Don't worry about the clutch, it will be engaged.

• Like 1