67 Dats 520 Staring up after 15+ years?!

Daryl

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's got distributor ground issues on and off. I'll have to figure out slowly. LoL  Break lines are garbage, yet I was able to get it rolling out on the road at 20mph! It's a runner, but not a great one YET! 15+/- year of hibernation. yES, It's awesomeness!

I'll keep ya'll updated for the $50 rattle can paint job coming up! hahaha

Congrats man.  Banzai510 saves another Datsun motor!

If you are considering disk front brakes look into the Mike Klotz kit.  He solves a problem with the inner front wheel bearing that makes your 520 use the common 78 to 2005 truck front wheel bearings.

I had his set on my 520 before swapping out chassis to 1980 720 chassis.  Gene knight know has this kit on Grimace.

• Like 1

I'd love to leave it the way it is, but some idiot put a thin coat of bondo all over it (of course it's all cranked and falling off) and I'd love to get looking pretty decent.  It's stock color was red so I'm going to paint it the same color.

This is my fathers datsun with a $100 rattle can job. Sanded to factory primer and primered a second coat. 3 coats of paint. Then a good compound and finally polish it.) Looks like a matte finish not glossy so much. (I hate clear coat just FYI !)

I also plan to give the underside a rust preventive coat (medicine as some call it) and give it a coat of rubberized undercoating for extra protection. 

11196276_698927663552124_364012023137959

11159455_698927566885467_68022007223901311164775_698927726885451_219979790797482

• Like 1

Pertronix will fix that distributor. dont ever deal with points again. clean contacks, wireing

where the bondo is just tape it off then get soem can spray and paint close to same color)in time its less noticable than say gray or black primer as other people use). in time it will fade and blend in. keep the patina what you have its cool.

I would run 2 fuel filters till get know the gas tank is clean

520s have a glass filter if I remember right

• Like 2

If you are considering disk front brakes look into the Mike Klotz kit.  He solves a problem with the inner front wheel bearing that makes your 520 use the common 78 to 2005 truck front wheel bearings.

I did Mike's kit back in May... absolutely the BEST upgrade I have done to my 520.  It stops like it is supposed to, and I don't have to wiggle around in the truck a stop lights to get the drums to unstick so I can continue driving when the light turns green!  Not only is Mike's kit incredibly well designed, he's also a wonderful person to work with.

• Like 1

XXL use the stock coil.  a .6 ohm is too much for a 4 banger 

Use the stock coil.

the 520s were funky I never did find a ballast resisitor so it must be a resistive wire in system but those coils are like 1.6 ohm or maybe more otherwise the points will burn up. So use the stock coil. The Pertronix might work for a while but this is commom failure among the Pertronix and Unilite conversions. Fine print say use the stock coil and ballst

I run 2 ballast on mine as its too is a .7 ohm coil(Accel SuperCoil) and needs the stock ballast and the one supplied with the coil(yes there is one in the SuperCoil box)  this is not the same as the Superstock accel coil

when installing put some paper in the holes in case scew fall inside the distributor

• Like 1

XXL use the stock coil.  a .6 ohm is too much for a 4 banger 

Use the stock coil.

Pertronix specifies the 0.6 ohm coil for their Ignitor II module. Their documentation also says-- "High RPM performance is improved when used with the Flame-Thrower II super low resistance (0.6 ohms) 45,000 volt coils"

the 520s were funky I never did find a ballast resisitor so it must be a resistive wire in system but those coils are like 1.6 ohm or maybe more otherwise the points will burn up. So use the stock coil.

Yes, the stock coil is 1.6 ohm with the external ballast resistor, which is appropriate for points ignition.  There is (at least on mine) no "resistive wire" in the circuit.  It buzzes out at essentially zero ohms with a DVM.  The Pertronix unit is a Hall effect electronic ignition module. There are no points to burn up.

• Like 1

Sounds like the oil passage to the head might be clogged.  No oil to the valves I would stop running the engine until I fix the problem.

PM me your email address and I will email you the Datsun 520 Factory Service Manual pdf.

• Like 1