dizzy/ timing problems..i tink

high winder

okay so here it goes (78 B210 A14), car was running perfect. then it gets to the point where it won't idle through the parking lot, dies at every stop, I can hear a slight popping/pinging sound when I was going down the freeway.

action taken..i look the carb over (weber 32/36) and see that the box thingy under the electric choke is hanging out ie. loose screws, so I tighten them up. start up same thing. so I clean carb and notice the pin that runs the butterfly's for the choke has fallen out, so I fix. so I start it up and same thing, runs like crap, no power, dies, etc. then I notice the main dizzy hold down is lose so I tighten, start it up get it to idle, drive it, has better power but not like it was and it still dies. so I readjust idle and lean mixture screw and still same prob.

I have vacuum suction coming from carb but when I disconnect hose and suck nothing in dizzy moves. checked plugs as well and they were a perfect light tan so I think the lean/rich mix has been good. also spun crank pulley and it came up 5 degrees BDTC

so questions are, I can't remember what to set timing at can't seem to find a set degree.

how loose do I run the bolt on the bottom of the dizzy so It can slide (i'm assuming for advance while driving)

when brought up on #1 cylinder should the rotor be pointing at it?

or do you think this is a clogged jet prob?

anywho after 8 cups of coffee this morning and reading entirely too much I think I'm more lost now than I was yesterday.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the engine off tighten the dizzy down enough that you can just move it by hand. This should still move when running. Just get the best fit' timing you can and then tighten it down. If not you will be jumping out every day 'because it just a hair off'. It's the same with remote control mirrors, you're always fiddling with the damn things.

Timing for an EI equipped A series B-210 is 7 degrees so you could try bumping the timing ahead.

At TDC on #1 the rotor should be pointing (more or less) at the number one plug wire above it on the cap.

Weber that something came loose on???? Better check your mounting bolts for looseness too. Could be vacuum leak. Now you will have to check set idle mixture and speed. Also when warmed up check that the choke plate is fully in the open position. 

Check set the above and you can probably say these are eliminated as the cause of your problem. If still acting up then maybe time to check the jets for blockage.

• Like 1

thanks..the mounting bolts were loose in my opinion, got another half to 3/4 turn and that was just tight.

now the dang thing won't start. GRrrrr! too hot now so i'll chip away at it tomorrow after work.

I checked the firing order and I don't think I have it wrong coming off the cap. 

once again thanks for the input..after my blood pressure went down a couple notches I had the number one wire wrong and it fired right up..

as for the main problem i'm not sure, didn't do much other than chase down some loose fittings, some tweaking here and there, rechecked the timing, idle etc. and it seems to run perfect again.

so i'll chalk it up to a set of cataclysmic events that led to the Ratsun falling off of its axis causing a turmoil of differentiating magnetic pulls which in turn set the stage for the mighty B210 to enter into its own black hole short of the abyss until the vortec closed and all things came back to normal.

• 11 months later...

hey guys anyone know if it is possible to re adjust your timing if you already installed the distributor, I lined up the rotor to to exact position as the removal and also I have on the A14 motor new fuel pump and rebuilt carb, turns over but will not budge doesnt start.  Is there a way to adjust this or fix without having to remove the distributor again>? IT is my first time doing anything with the timing, anyone have any idea what it might be? or if you could point me in the right direction for resources for this . Thank you guys.,

hey guys anyone know if it is possible to re adjust your timing if you already installed the distributor, I lined up the rotor to to exact position as the removal and also I have on the A14 motor new fuel pump and rebuilt carb, turns over but will not budge doesnt start.  Is there a way to adjust this or fix without having to remove the distributor again>? IT is my first time doing anything with the timing, anyone have any idea what it might be? or if you could point me in the right direction for resources for this . Thank you guys.,

If it turns over all you need is fuel and spark. Pull a plug off and put an old plug in the end and lay on a grounded surface. Crank the engine over Got spark???

YES there's spark..... for now assume it's timed and go to fuel

NO spark..... got power to the coil + side and the EI module? (use a test lamp) Is the distributor securely grounded?

Fuel... Look down the carb while holding the choke flap open and pump the throttle. You should see fuel spurt into the main barrel. If there is a glass bull's eye on the front the fuel level should be in the middle. If no fuel find out why. The inlet needle may be stuck, float set wrongly.