Datsun "Indy car" Special....with photos!!!

I am in the process of building a single seat,open wheel Datsun Special.

It's based on a 521 chassis,2.0 liter L20.NAPZ engine drive train(early 80's?),bits and pieces from a 1984 720.

Not your typical "Mini Truck" project,but the main components are 90% Datsun P/U.

I will be glad to answer questions about it if there is any.

SAM_0077.jpg

SAM_0076.jpg

SAM_0065.jpg

SAM_0079.jpg

SAM_0061.jpg

Before the frame was narrowed,wheel base shortened,center frame rails installed and tail cover cut/widened for mock-up.

100_0319.jpg

100_0321.jpg

100_0318.jpg

A nose by any other name.......

100_0317.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That model 720 with the Z20 had a terrible 3.364 ratio rear end but I'm guessing this thing is going to come in under a ton?

Mid engine so you can reach the shifter?

Can't see the tension arms.

The.rear.is.from.the.521.so.not.sure.what.ratio.it.is.yet.

Tires.will.be.around.27-30".depending.on.what.I.can.find/afford.

Yes.front/mid-engine.lowered.and.behind.the.front.cross-member,with.gear.shifter.directly.ahead.of.the.seat.

Bars.were.taken.out.due.to.being.in.the.way.of.engine/trans.new.location.so,short.coil-overs.in.front.and.single.leaf.rear.with.VW.coil-overs.to.be.fitted.

Man...not to rain on your project, but I would have gone with the 720 frame because the 521 front end has a lot of unobtainable or otherwise pain in the arse parts (no longer available bearings, pain to R&R kingpins, fulcrum bushings/pins, drum brakes...etc etc).  720 front end is a lot less of a headache :)

which year came with the 3.36?id like to get my hands on one of those 3rd members

'84 through 86.5 720s with the Mileage Option Z20S engines. They had 9 to one compression and a block knock sensor and an automatic ignition retard system... as can be expected trying to lug a truck around with a 3.364 gear in the back. They only came with 5 speeds and they all had 240mm flywheels and clutches... again probably a lot of clutch slipping to get one rolling with 3.364 gears.

Man...not to rain on your project, but I would have gone with the 720 frame because the 521 front end has a lot of unobtainable or otherwise pain in the arse parts (no longer available bearings, pain to R&R kingpins, fulcrum bushings/pins, drum brakes...etc etc).  720 front end is a lot less of a headache :)

Also the later years had massive calipers and vented rotor disc brakes.

No.doubt,but.the.1984.720.frame.rails.were.rusted.away.and.unsafe,so.I.wanted.to.stay.Datsun.and.this.is.what.my.buddy.had.in.his.scrap.yard(read.very,very.cheap).

It.is.what.is.....

• Like 1

The.rear.is.from.the.521.so.not.sure.what.ratio.it.is.yet.

Bars.were.taken.out.due.to.being.in.the.way.of.engine/trans.new.location.so,short.coil-overs.in.front.and.single.leaf.rear.with.VW.coil-overs.to.be.fitted.

The PL521 all used 4.375 gears.

You can't run without some kind of tension rod. The tension rod is the third side that triangulates the lower control arm. Without it, when the brakes are applied the lower control arms will be pulled to the rear by the stopping tire. Steering alignment will toe out and sooner or later the LCA will fail.

No.doubt,but.the.1984.720.frame.rails.were.rusted.away.and.unsafe,so.I.wanted.to.stay.Datsun.and.this.is.what.my.buddy.had.in.his.scrap.yard(read.very,very.cheap).

It.is.what.is.....

For an old Indy car front drum brakes are probably period correct anyway

The PL521 all used 4.375 gears.

You can't run without some kind of tension rod. The tension rod is the third side that triangulates the lower control arm. Without it, when the brakes are applied the lower control arms will be pulled to the rear by the stopping tire. Steering alignment will toe out and sooner or later the LCA will fail.

Sorry,thought.you.meant.torsion.bars.

Rods.will.be.replaced.the.heims.and.a.steel.tube,so.no.more.rubber/flex.

What a fun project!

Do you have a sketch of what you want it to look like or some inspiration photos of car(s) you are trying to duplicate?

I.did.a.sketch.years.ago.and.a.few.diminsional.drawings.a.few.months.ago.to.get.a.idea.of.where/how.things.would.fit.

The.car/components.will.tell.you.where.things.can.and.can't.go.to.a.point.

What.I.want.and.what.the.car.demands.sometimes.clash.

The.cars.I.got.ideas.from.are.the.F1/Indy.open.wheel.cars.of.the.50's-early.60's.

54-Kurtis-Kraft-500C_Indy-DV-09-AI-00019

I.did.a.sketch.years.ago.and.a.few.diminsional.drawings.a.few.months.ago.to.get.a.idea.of.where/how.things.would.fit.

The.car/components.will.tell.you.where.things.can.and.can't.go.to.a.point.

What.I.want.and.what.the.car.demands.sometimes.clash.

The.cars.I.got.ideas.from.are.the.Grand Prix/F1/Indy.open.wheel.cars.Mainly.from.the.50's-early.60's.

1961-Trevis-Watson-AJ-Foyt-Bowes-Seal-Fa

l-3.jpg

54-Kurtis-Kraft-500C_Indy-DV-09-AI-00019

article-0-1AA90434000005DC-875_634x446.j

5327340_1_l.jpg

59-Watson-Indy-Roadster-DV-09-AI-003.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful to look at but getting in one and driving is like getting into a car today without a seat belt. Alarms go off in your head. Those roll bars look like they are just for show.

It's one of those cars that if you wreck, the car will turn into a smashed soda can. It is your coffin. They'll lower the whole car into a hole with you in it.

• Like 1

In perspective, in the future when we teleport using 'phone booths' people will shudder that we actually 'drove' cars ourselves with oncoming cars just feet away to the left.

Exactly.

Or "what do you mean you only had 12 airbags?!?"   :rofl:

Or "Grandpa, tell us about when your car had pedals you had to push..."

• Like 1