Running a V8 in a 510... Pros & cons?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been said that anything over 270HP in a 510 is a waste of power. If you build a hand make chassis so you can lug around a V8 in a 510 shell, and still can't keep up with a turbo 4 cylinder, isn't that a waste of power, money, and effort? Don't get me wrong, I Love the sound of a V8 as much as the next guy, but I don't get stuffing one into a loosing configuration. You want a fast drag 510? There are 6 second SR20 Datsuns out there. You want a fast solo/track car? A well built turbo KA 510 will smoke any V8 dime out there. That being said, if it's about novelty, than to each his own, but don't make the mistake of justifying it with the notion of actual performance. 

• Like 1

What he said:

"Needs front suspension work, shakes above 40, due to poor geometry setup".

What he meant:

"I'm a moron who made a bunch of assumptions rather than researching his build, so now I have a chopped up half ass POS abortion I'm trying to unload. Turns out, the stock 510's Mcpherson strut suspension can't handle a small block 350. Oh yah, one of those odds and ends I mentioned is it needs is a custom built chassis to make it drivable".

What he said:

"Bottom line is: it's a super clean *reliably running* V8 Swapped 510 for $6000"

What he meant:

"I fucked this thing up a tree so bad, now it's not even worth the expense of actually making it *reasonably drivable*. So I'm fishing for the next moron sucker who's always dreamed of shoehorning a V8 into a Dime to take it off my hands".

This is a perfect example of why trying to convert a $0.10 into a Camero is a waste of power, money, effort, and a very well designed classic Japanese 4 cylinder car. The sad thing is, this 510 would still be worth $6000 had he just kept his fucking hands off it. Now he couldn't make $3K parting it out.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

You're very close minded for a the rapist.

As the rapist, and a 510 owner, I'm mandated to act if you are a danger to yourself, or your Datsun. Clearly, both are threatened in this case. Any more back sass, and I'll 5150 your ass straight to the Toyota forum.  :P

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I haven't seen a discussion about a 510 V8 swap in a while.  The common complaint is that it will make the car nose heavy and only good as a trailer queen........not so. It is possible to install a V8 into a 510 and still have a daily driver and a fun autocross car. My car now has over 50,000 miles on it with a Ford 5.0 and Corvette rear end.  Front to rear weight bias: front 51% rear 49%, which is better that the stock 56% front bias. 

It is not an easy swap, but it does make a fun car to surprise the odd Beemer and Porsche on the freeway. Here are some pics:

Auto-X-Practice-112109-200PC-1.jpg

SDAD3-25-12-0869ZF-4384-52540-1-001.jpg

Interior-passenger.jpg

Picture003.jpg

510-rearend-03.jpg

The car is run at the San Diego Qualcomm SCCA solo meets mostly ever month. We need more San Diego 510 participation at the events as I am usually the only 510 running. These cars are meant to have fun with, not just to look at them.  Come on down, have some fun!

Matt Guzzetta

WHO DID YOUR SWAP? IM IN LOS ANGELES , TRYING TO GET A V8 SBC PROPERLY FIT INTO A 510

51% front and 49% rear is only 100 pounds moved to the rear on a stock 2,200 lb weight 510. The front could be 100 pounds heavier and still be 51% of a vehicle weight of 2,600 pounds. Then again it's an auto cross car so I imagine it's not carrying any spare wasted weight and has been lightened.

That all said 51/49 is a good number.

No doubt this is a very special car. Hell the rear end alone shows the kind of high art craftsmanship that goes into building a functional V8 dime and few have the skill to do something like that right. The fact that this car has plates truly makes my head spin. I would love to ride shotgun in that beast through Sunrise Highway.