Running a V8 in a 510... Pros & cons?

Just a little taste of fun at Qualcomm! 

Old run with G Forces shown: 

This car has been running at the SCCA SOLO events for more than 10 years, so the 510 can hold up with some running.  It is great fun and the San Diego venue is on of the best.  

Have some fun with your cars!

Matt Guzzetta

• Like 3
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt right on. Bitchin. Case closed.

The case is certainly not closed. That engine is almost a mid engine set up. No wonder the bias is as stated. The firewall, dash and heater are gone. There is still excess added weight over the front end and a lighter stock 510 will still out corner it and certainly out brake it every time. What it gave up in handling it simply gains back on the straight parts of the course. It's nice though. 

What does it weigh??

No not case closed tanker.

I have seen Matt's 510 in person. It is a well executed swap. He built the car many years ago and then improved upon it. As you can see in the pics, Matt cut the firewall and pushed the engine way back so he could get the nice weight balance. A lot of other imaginative engineering went into his car. Another unicorn not a easy build.

I too have built a V8 510. Back in the 90s. I used a 215 all aluminum V8. I thought I did a decent build but I was never happy with the outcome. The car handled well but it was super noisy, hot as hell, got crappy mpg and was only qwik not fast. The 215 was only around 200HP. I know you can build them to have more displacement and More power but at a huge cost. There are Much better options are out there with more modern engines. The 215 is 50 plus years old.

2390BCB6-4879-419E-8E23-99C542F2E73E_zps

A6131E12-7E8B-4F0D-A8FA-86856578F46D_zps

385CA79C-4E67-4CB3-B76B-B44D5AB9D42D_zps

894F58C2-9574-452D-BFB2-C469009B8D37_zps

70555296-EAFE-4C0A-B2E3-B5F779C0DA90_zps

I next built a better V8 swapped Datsun. A 240Z with an LS1. I built it back in 2004-2005 when this was still a new swap into Z cars. Only 3 or 4 others were on the road before mine.

Now everyone is doing it.

7DE47421-09F2-4549-B0B5-A863ED28881F_zps

44BC8847-E1F3-4F72-B310-7BAA423AF116_zps

If you want a V8 powered Datsun, build a Z car or a truck. Don't tear up a 510.

• Like 3

I love the "benchracing" that goes on, you can get a bunch of ideas about what you want to build by checking out what others do.  I am not a purist 510 guy which is why I have one with a 5.0 in it. I bought my 510 from Glendale Datsun in 1969 and always thought it would be fun to stuff a small block Ford in it.  The Ford is only about 17 inches wide at the exhaust flange mount compared to about 20 plus inches for a Chevy, as well as the Ford (all iron) weighs about 100 pounds less which makes it a good choice.  The Corvette rear end works well and was a job to build in with special sub frame pieces. 

My car was built to be a "sleeper" for the street, not a race car, so I only have 225X15 tires on 7 inch wide rims and they can't handle the power as much as wider tires could.. The car dynos at 275 RWHP and 311 Ft lbs of torque. The car handles well, but could pull more Gs in the corners if wider tires could fit.  As the car is meant to look stock, having giant flares and extra wide tires would give the gag away.  The motor is 9 inches back of where the stock motor sat, as measured at the centerline of the #1 cylinder of both motors, so it is not quite a "mid engine" set up.  It has the firewall "massaged" but not cut out and the dash area is stock position.  The only mod done to that area was the removal of the heater stuff, not really needed in San Diego most of the time.

The SCCA SOLO club I run with is loaded with many modified cars, Lotus 7 copies, formula Ford, cars, 2 510 cars that are raced in the Vintage series, one only weighs about 1870 pounds.  I run my car in autocross to be able to do things that would get you in trouble on the road.  

I remember meeting David in the San Diego Balboa Park parking lot some years ago, before the installation of the latest motor, a Ford crate motor meant for the 97-98 Explorer.  David does nice stuff and I love the 240 with the Chevy!  

My background is with motorcycle racing (road racing, desert racing, and Bonneville stuff) and the 510 has been to Bonneville a few times.  Here it is with my streamliner on the trailer in 1970:

desktop-Project-500-34.jpg

Another photo (just the front fender) in line at Bonneville with my business partner with his streamliner:

Bonne-Project-500-011.jpg

Installing a V8 in a 510 is not something I would recommend doing if you do not have the background to do it.  There isn't a class to race in, so it is just a fun toy. It is a great daily driver!

Enjoy the ride!

Matt Guzzetta

• Like 7

Mike, yep I think they still do.  The 97-98 motors use GT40-P heads and the ports are huge, I pulled off the injection manifolds and stuff as they weighed 60 pounds and that is aluminum manifolds!  The small block Ford makes a good unit when you have to stuff it into the firewall area due to the front mounted distributor.  Not being a brand specific kinda guy, I have a Ford motor, Tremec (Ford Racing) tranny, and a Corvette rear end. I get along well with the CAM guys in the SCCA (CAM is the class for pre 1973 Classic American Muscle cars) There are some great muscle cars that now handle as the guys are now building hot rods that handle so they can run them longer than 8-9 seconds.  

The weight issue always seems to be a large focus, even though a fully dressed aluminum LS is 440lbs. Trash the cast manifolds, ac compressor, emissions stuff, etc...and you have an engine that weighs what a KA weighs. Additionally, the LS and Ford 302 are ridiculously compact, being v8's. The LS is something like 25.5" long.

I'm a huge fan of these cars, and the purist SR/KA "keep it Nissan" theme. Power per dollar, depending on your skill set, its hard to beat the v8 power.

I've been curious about where a set of LS to S13 mounts would place the engine, when used in a 510.

• Like 1

Cant use Pete brocks datzilla as a v8 510 baseline the engine it over a foot from the core support, further back than bubbamatts. The v8 510 can be argued pros and cons forever and not everyone will be happy about it.

I personally would like the challenge of building one to the highest potential of the setup. With time, money, skill and equipment anything can be built.

• Like 1

If you have to cut the car up or move the engine back it's not really a viable swap. Anything is do-able but it seems that those who have put V8s in a 510 went to a lot of trouble and expense and if truth be known would like it back the way it was if they could.

If you have to cut the car up or move the engine back it's not really a viable swap. 

I agree. 

went to a lot of trouble and expense and if truth be known would like it back the way it was if they could.

And I would wager you are right there also. Or it gets sold as an unfinished project (read: pile of parts and cut up car). 

This guy looks pretty happy with his B)

marcus_fry_1000.jpg

I'm sure they are fun because... V8 not because they are a 510.

Except he wishes he'd bought a 2dr instead...   :rofl:

I believe four door is structurally stiffer than a two door.