Spray-cleaning carburetor? New truck owner needs help

Hi...so I realize this is probably the simplest task ever but I'm a baby truck owner and don't wanna screw it up! I'd like some real clear step-by-step directions on how to spray clean the carburetor... I'm using MasterPro cleaner and my truck is a '79 Datsun 620 pickup. On the can it says to remove the air filter first (I'm assuming it's the rectangle box thing on top) and have no idea how to do it - manual doesn't say. Please help!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a chrome rectangular 'thing on top' it's a weber replacement carb and not at all the one that came with the truck. The top and bottom clamp the air filter between them with push on clips. Just 'pop them off' to get at the carburetor throat.

There are different kinds of 'cleaners' and some just clean the parts and the outside of the carburetor. Others are intended to clean the insides of a running engine so make sure you have the correct one. 

• Like 2

Yep that fits the description, and yeah that would make sense 'cause the engine was rebuilt in the past year. And the cleaner I'm using ("MasterPro Chemicals Carb & Choke Cleaner") says to spray it on the exterior surface first, then after it dries spraying it on the inside of the carb while the engine is running.

0819151801_zps7t1cqx88.jpg

You may have to rev it up to keep it running. The can bay also say to stall the engine with the spray and let sit for 15 min before restarting. This is to 'wet' the valves, piston tops and combustion chambers to loosen deposits