OK, where is the stock OE 74 620 radio speaker?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the round cutouts in the kick panel body metal, however the upholstered kick panels are solid w/o speaker holes or grilles.

So I guess this truck never had a radio originally.  There is a radio in it so I guess someone put it in and never finished the job.

I suppose there is a speaker wiring harness too.

The radio has two wires (male and female) post connectors.  Are the L and R w/ground returns or + and - for a single speaker (or two in parallel?)

If there is a single speaker, is it in one kick panel only?  (which one?)

MYSTERY:  Why do I have a radio and no speaker holes (or speakers for that matter) in the kickpanels?

THEORY:

The cab was originally that great blue color but they painted it red.

It has black kick and door panels and a dark blue mat.

I believe they found a black interior doner with a bad mat and kept the blue one since it is flawless.

But I'll bet the black doner didn't have a radio!

Anyhow, that is my theory.

I think the kick panels were cut so they could be punched out and the speaker option added. Take a look on the inside, maybe the front is painted over. The back should be perforated in a small speaker shape and room for 4 screws.

• 3 months later...

I just put my interior back in and both of my kick panels have small about 1" holes in them about 4-6" up from the floor.

If I look closely, it looks like something round of greater diameter impressed the black vinyl on them.  (If it was in the door, you'd think it was the escutcheon of a window crank.)

I have no idea why they are there.

I wonder if someone installed small tweeters and the grille's imprinted the vinyl?