HELP!!! New datsun guy with carb problems

Please help I bought a 1982 210 for $600 a few months back to flip for a profit but fell in love with it and now it's my project. It's the a15 with the 5spd and its a solid car with only 135k original miles but it is running horrible now a days and this is my first carberated car.... I'm lost

The issues:

Idle is at about 1500rpm (according to crappy tach I bought on Amazon for $12)

Bogs baddly on acceleration but only under load

Diesels from time to time

It's increadably low on power and won't even chirp the 5in wide tires when clutch is dropped

It looks as if the the is new it looks too clean to be from 82 but I'm not sure

If anyone can give me some direction Itd be greatly appreciated Im 21 and all my cars have been efi

My goal is to drive my datsun to work

Please help thank you

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess first off, your running rich and/or your timing is waaaayyy off. Carb floats might be high, carb might need a decent rebuild, needle might be sticking, etc.

Welcome to ratsun and the Datsun addiction. Post pics. We are pic whores.

• Like 1

Haven't quite figured out the posting pics part yet but I will eventually but what would you start with trying? I've tried to check if the accelerator pump was working and never see any "healthy squirt of gasoline" when I do it but I may just be looking in the wrong place the car does start and run anytime I want it to but it runs rough

stick with the original carb for better mileage, you can throw your money away later if you need to. 

from where the (ur pic ) choke plate is at after warming up, look at Mike's 2nd pic and that's where your choke plate should be after it's warmed up. 

it's best to set the choke plate when the engine is cold, early in the morning is best. The plate should be barley closed up by the air horn like mikes 1st pic. 

stick with the original carb for better mileage, you can throw your money away later if you need to.

from where the (ur pic ) choke plate is at after warming up, look at Mike's 2nd pic and that's where your choke plate should be after it's warmed up.

it's best to set the choke plate when the engine is cold, early in the morning is best. The plate should be barley closed up by the air horn like mikes 1st pic.

I'm not too worried about milage as gas is pretty cheap here in the southwest 2.30/gal or so also I have no emissions testing where I live (thank you Intel!!!) but would it be worth it the guy had it in a jeep and comes with electric pump and fuel pressure gauge will it bolt on or do I have to also get a adapter for the datsun?

It will require an adaptor and some work to get the throttle to hook up correctly. It's unlikely that the jeep throttle setup will work. It will also likely need to be re tuned to work on your engine. For $300 or so you can get a complete setup with basically all you need brand new. You don't need an electric fuel pump to run a Weber, so while nice, that is not necessary.

Question: when the choke is open both sides are open?

The secondary side is not used at low speed and only opens when passing or floored so no choke plate is needed for that side.

image_zpsrauonjzp.jpg

This is what it looked like after being warmed up for 20min

The choke is not open near enough. Assuming it was set properly at one time likely the electric choke heater isn't working. This can simply be the wire fell off. Take the air filter off and look for a round thing on the back that looks sort of like this and has a Blue wire to it....

645291924_tp.jpg

So I just found a weber 32/36 in my area for $250 it seems a little steep for me but what do you guys think?

Fixing what you have is cheaper and for $250 don't buy someone else's problems.

• Like 1

Ok so the blue wire was ok at the choke but I followed it down to find it was (badly) spliced into a red wire in the harness so I re did the splice to ensure there was a connection but then looked at the fuse box and it seems the engine control fuse was popped and so I replaced that with a spare 15a fuse I had laying around and that popped as soon as I started the car as well could that be my problem or does that have anything to do with the choke? Also when I opened the air box I found the choke in the same position as after I warmed it for 20min the other day???? So many questions