My Dad's 620 parked for over 20 years

620owner

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep I have an electric fuel pump ahead of the mechanical. The truck sat for over twenty years so I installed the electric pump to get the gas from the tank up to the carb and ran it for awhile just to circulate gas and (Sea-breeze) through the lines (fuel and return) to clean them up. I'm not using it now, it's shut off just using the mechanical pump which was replaced with a new pump. I'm going to leave the electric in line for a backup.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to work on the 620 yesterday. I changed out the master cylinder for the cluch. Replaced the coil with a EI coil. (Bought a new EI coil for 1979 - 620) I took the resistor out too. The coil is getting full battery voltage all the time now. Haven't actually checked it but should have hotter spark now. Next is new belts and hoses. I am going to put the air pump belt back on , my dad had removed it. I guess he thought disabling the air pump would make the engine run better....

Well I tried to back the Datsun out of the garage for the first time in over twenty (20) years. The left front brake was froze up. I thought I could break it loose but the skid mark on the garage floor proves that I was dead wrong. See the photo. I had to pull the drum and clean things up. The drum really wasn't to bad. The brake shoe was frozen to the drum. The shoes had bonded pads and the rear pad has come loose from the shoe and put things in a bind. I will be replacing the shoes with riveted pads. Maybe my forcing things thinking it would break loose didn't help and probably tore it loose. I'm thinking that's probably the case... Anyway the left rear was froze too but it did break loose and the other two rolled free. Ready to roll her outside now.

Datsun_Front_Brake_zpsz7x8dipx.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the like, yes the Tonneau came on the truck new. My dad was the second owner. Dad bought the truck off of the neighbor with 500 miles on it. The neighbor bought the truck thinking he could pull his boat with it. The boat was bigger than the truck so that plan failed. Dad bought the Datsun from the neighbor who then bought a full size 3/4 ton truck. So I am the third owner and the truck has 41,000 miles on it now.

Funny story about my dad buying the Datsun. Dad worked in a Steel Mill and in 1977 it was frowned upon to buy anything foreign especially a vehicle. When dad pulled into the employee parking lot the union steel workers surrounded his truck to let him know their displeasure on driving a foreign vehicle onto a US Steel Factory Lot. They finally gave him some slack after awhile only because he was a WWII Vet and over 30 years in the steel mill. Dad really though he was going to have to sell it. He said he took a lot of crap from some guys for quite awhile but it eventually stopped. So times have certainly changed.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Working on the brakes today. Already had replaced the master cylinder, Yesterday  I replaced the left rear wheel cylinder, bled out the lines and got a firm peddle but ..... right front wheel cylinder started leaking. I'd bought all new wheel cylinders but didn't feel like busting open the lines again (and being lazy) I thought I'd be slick and just replace the piston and seal from the new cylinder. Well guess what yep your right, it still leaks. Soo I'm going to do it right now and replace the rubber line and wheel cylinder. So much for cutting corners and trying to do it the (Half-ass) easy way. Found some Dorman cylinders instead of the Nabco original type and picked up new brake shoes so I'm going to change out both fronts now. Just one more day wrenching ...

This is what I bought:

Wheel Cylinder Front Right Dorman W37381  (Made in Italy)

Wheel Cylinder Front Left Dorman W37382     (Made in Italy)

Different part numbers for Left & Right...... When I look at them side by side I cannot see any physical difference.

Maybe someone can explain what I can't see ???

Everyone loves to do brakes.... right   Ok Left front now done new flex hose, wheel cylinder and shoes.

Working on the right side. Not as cooperative. Flex line was a bear to break loose. I had to resort to heat and vise-grips....... hate to use vise-grips but the line wrench wouldn't grip anymore so rather than cut off the line and break out the flaring tool I went the vise grip route. The old wheel cylinder was rusted solid into the backing plate. I had to use heat and the big hammer to get it loose and out. Ok popped in new wheel cylinder but when tightening down realized the threaded bolt striped and wouldn't tighten up. Checked the nut and appears to be Ok/ same thread as wheel cylinder bolt but the threads on the wheel cylinder bolt striped right off.... wow never has one do that before. Have to pick up a new cylinder. I was going to re-thread the bolt but have decided just to get another one. Bad deal on that one !

• 2 weeks later...