New to the forum..need parts for my L320 project

Rusty320

20150813_184809_zps8kajxmmw.jpg

20150814_160918_zpsp2daolb9.jpg

20150813_185039_zpsgpt4hepd.jpg

Here's a few pics of my new project. It's a 1965 Datsun L320 from the title/vin search I've done. Just got the dash and seat cleaned up and the start of sanding off the spray paint covering up the flames and nice dark green paint underneath. Trying to get it steering and stopping before I start on the engine. Have all the brake parts I need ordered and all steering is freed up but still looking for some impossible to find steering gearbox bearings and races!!! If anyone could help there that'd be awesome!

Other wants/needs if anyone has some extras lying around to sell: 60hp badges, hood emblem, 1 Datsun1200 badge, cover for transmission? (I assume I'll be making this one), and steering gearbox bearing HELP! Measured up to try converting to sealed bearings but waiting on them to be made up for me so I'll keep you guys posted if that works out.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome!

I've had a few 320's and they are really hard to find certain parts for, but others are abundant. The chassis is very similar to the 520, 521 and 620 so it's relatively easy to find those parts. Engine parts are getting harder to find. Body and interior...good luck.

Look up Wayno here on Ratsun and give him a shout. He's likely to have what you need.

On a side note, have you considered any modifications? Chassis swap or frame clip? Disc brakes? Engine swap? If yes, then you can use more modern parts that will be easier to find in the future.

• Like 1

That's what I've been on the fence about...it is pretty complete as far as factory parts still there and seems solid everywhere so I'm on the fence if I'm going to make it run/stop/turn as it sits and do the factory "rat rod" thing with it or I've also tossed around the idea of going the 4wheel disc brakes, coilovers with 5link, and trying to jam a RB series engine in it. I know they're polar opposite builds but both seem appealing..even though the "rat rod" method would keep costs down but who knows I'm just wrenching on it a day at a time and we'll see where it leads

• Like 1

Here's a thread I did on a frame clip a on my old 320. I did it for the balljoints and the disc brakes were the side benefit.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34698-320-balljoint-conversion/

I honestly don't understand guys who are hung up on keeping things stock. Do whatever you want to this truck, just make sure you finish it or you'll have a bunch of pissed off Datsun owners on your back.

• Like 1

Very nice job on the front end and thanks for the info. I'm just making it run/stop/turn as of now while compiling so info on builds/swaps and such I can do with it. This is my 3rd Datsun project and I've also owned 6 Nissan 240sx that were all projects and only one of the 240s never got back to the road (no title and stripped parts for another) so by all means no worries to the Datsun guys..I bought this truck to drive and play with not collect dust!

• Like 2

I have some of the parts you need.

60 HP emblems, 1200 emblem, side trim, correct steering wheel (rough), Ash tray.

I have a column shift trans cover. Not the same as you need but may be a piece to start with as the edge layout is the same.

FYI, the door pull handles are mounted upside down.

Contact me directly at 

tcheaton@hotmail.com.

Ted.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...