240z Starter problem?

CGraves

I've got a 72 240 and the transmission is a 4 speed from a 71 as best as I can tell.

My previous starter had what I believed to be a bad bendix where it would only engage once every 20 tries if that so I bought a brand new one and it worked fine for the first 3 or so turns but after that it I can hear it click and spin over but it's not hitting the flywheel anymore. I'm not sure if this is a flywheel issue or starter issue. Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the battery fully charged?

This is common with many old Datsuns... the start signal from the ignition is weak. Power from the battery has to travel about 15-20 feet through thin 45 year old wires and connections to get to the ignition and back out to the starter. Often the start signal is below 8 volts and the solenoid clicks or the starter misses the flywheel. Try this test...

Find the small wire on the starter solenoid that comes from the ignition and pull it off carefully. Now make a small jumper wire from the battery positive terminal and touch it to the solenoid where the wire was. Use all caution.... Be sure car is out of gear. This wire is not protected by a fuse so do NOT touch it to any thing that is grounded. If starter works every time with a direct 12 jumpered to the solenoid it can be assumed that the start signal from the ignition is too weak.

To fix this usually a cheap relay is installed to do the same thing using the weak start signal to turn it on.

headlightstartrelay.jpg

• Like 1

First of all thanks for the quick reply Mike! I was arcing across the starter with a screwdriver because the wiring and interior is in shambles at the moment but I tried the wire in hopes it might be different and as far as I can tell voltage isn't the issue so I'm starting to think its a flywheel issue. 

Well I either have the wrong flywheel or the teeth are in worse shape than I thought. The teeth were fairly rough but I figured it would be good enough to at least get the thing started. 

Does anyone know if the flywheels from a 240/60/80 are all interchangeable?

• Like 1

Well I either have the wrong flywheel or the teeth are in worse shape than I thought. The teeth were fairly rough but I figured it would be good enough to at least get the thing started. 

Does anyone know if the flywheels from a 240/60/80 are all interchangeable?

YUP, watch to be sure the clutch disc diameter is the same as yours.

• Like 1