My hood is doing the wobble at speed...adjustable hood bumpers?

heywier427

Don't have the pics at the moment but installed new rubbers and still have a little shake at highway speeds. Naive question - Does the solid rubber stops go to the front of the hood and the more flexible (hollow center) go to the back?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe that's my problem!  I have 4 solid ones from datsunlandsocal like these:

hood%20bumpers.JPG

maybe the hollow ones go towards the front to crush down and give resistance against the hood latch?

$(KGrHqMOKiUE0p6iuBIPBNYyK!vCB!~~_35.JPG

or maybe use larger ones? these are from a 1st gen Camaro

709017.jpg

1st world problems...

Whatever you use, they must make contact with the hood and be firm like tire rubber. It should also be pinched between the hood and the fender.... support from just the underside won't do at all. It needs to resist side to side movement.

• Like 1

If hood pins were the only way to go, they would be installed reversed, with the pins going down into engine bay. 

And then it would be called a hood latch.   :rofl:

This style is pretty unobtrusive if you ditch the big discs...

maybe use larger ones? these are from a 1st gen Camaro

Those look like a good option. ever seen anyone use those on a 510? 

If hood pins were the only way to go, they would be installed reversed, with the pins going down into engine bay. 

Hidden, so no one could see them.  Ever.

Maybe glue another set of side bumpers closer to the front of the fenders/hood.

To unlock the hood you just open it to get at the pins.....

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I would run without a hood before I would ruin my Datsun with hood pins. There are lots of rubber suggestions above for fixing this.

AGREED!

and I have the thankless suck task of de-hood pinning mine which will be interesting because the only thing holding the hood is the center late - NO bumpers anywhere.

Trying to think of a way to put a threaded, adjustable bumper - maybe something as small as the "head of a bolt" that catches the side edge of the hood...  "Rubber headed jack bolt?"

Oh I've got it (haha).  Spray release agent on the hood, fender, and inners and put a Big Blop of 2-part curing silicone rubber every where you want a bumper.  When dry, take the glop out and cut out the center(s) which would be perfectly shaped bumpers.  Not so sure how to attach...   Or maybe be sure the Blop goes into the holes and slots, don't use release agent on fenders and inners - instead mask off where you plan to cut away.

To unlock the hood you just open it to get at the pins.....

So silly...

This is the best random internet pic i could find.

Ive done this a few times to mk1 vw's. Paint the pin clips black, and youd never see em. This is done because a space is tight, and being able to raise the intercooler up 2-3" (by getting rid of the stock center latch) makes room for the oil cooler, ect...

Not so much for the car below, but you get the point...

DSCN1151.jpg

Hey I would be proud to drive around with that on my Datsun. The point is they are not needed because the factory installed a safety latch. How many hoods have you seen blow off while driving? If you know someone who knew someone who heard of one flying off while driving then they had had a previous accident or through neglect, abuse or stupidity didn't or couldn't latch it properly. Like forgetting to tighten the lug nuts.

• 6 months later...

Hood pins for the win?

I added rubber weather striping on top of my front fender bumpers to build them up a bit.

Adjusted the hood latch a bit tighter too.

Now it only wiggles instead of looking like jello. But now only at speeds over 100 :)

Hoods don't normally fly off. Not the hoods fault if they do, it's the owner. Hood pins to hold the hood on is the same as welding your rims on to keep them from falling off. Proper lugs and torque is less drastic.

Hood_Flies_Off%2007_zpsaqzmfob9.jpg

That notch isn't from opening and closing. It's from chafing because the latch was loosely fitted. Probably the hood shaking and not secured.

• Like 1

Hoods don't normally fly off. Not the hoods fault if they do, it's the owner. Hood pins to hold the hood on is the same as welding your rims on to keep them from falling off. Proper lugs and torque is less drastic.

Hood_Flies_Off%2007_zpsaqzmfob9.jpg

That notch isn't from opening and closing. It's from chafing because the latch was loosely fitted. Probably the hood shaking and not secured.

I agree, everything needs to be accordingly, I've been driving big rigs for over 18 years now and you would not believe the kind of damage loose things create by simply rubbing against other things from simple vibration.
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll say it again, the latch is aligned properly.

The torsional hood flap is the cause.

However, there is another possible problem:

The post popup spring was so weak it could not pop the hook up - I had to install an inner spring.

The hood now pops up without issue, however, this spring is what keeps the post loaded onto the latch pawl.  If this spring is too weak, it is possible on a rough road or pot hole that the post could come off the pawl (inertia force of hood pushes it down.)  If this happens, it would then slam into the pawl on its return up and perhaps cause the pawl to move out of the way again due to a weak pawl return spring.

QUICKIE HOOD FLAP FIX:  (2) pieces of 2" long 3/4" heater hose each laid on top of the core support next to the fenders.  There are no convenient holes to plastic tie them too, but a long loose string to anything nearby keeps them nearby if they fall off when opening the hood.

Pretty ghetto, huh?

• 1 year later...

NECRO POST

FYI for those who want adjustable hood stops on the rad cradle. I used Ford threaded stops. They are plentiful in the junkyard and work quite well. I remove the plastic clip and use two nuts or a threaded nut insert.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Images/36081.jpg

36081.jpg