edekalil

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dual Mikuni 44

:)

I think that is what these are, they would not be too big I had planed to put them on an L20B? If not I would guess the motor would benefit if it had a more suitable cam for that setup.

IMG_20130407_123137.jpg

I also have a complete setup of the flat top su carbs.

IMG_20130407_113035.jpg

IMG_20130407_122438.jpg

Maybe they would be better on a L16? I have who has a set of 38 mm round top su he is giving me next week but nothing else just the carbs.

I also have a couple of 32/36 dgv set ups just have to figure the link edge connection.

E61EC469-8208-475E-8A8C-90716C140367-658

Sorry for the upside down oic.

I'd keep the stock Hitachi on a stock L16. it's best to save the big carbs for a larger displacement engine. Then it depends on how you're driving the car, and how much you like to put gas in the tank.

Nice thing is, you have the short Mikuni intake manifold, so you can use the air filters you have with no clearance issues.

But I'll warn you. This is from my experience. The short Mikuni manifold puts the carbs right over the exhaust, which will heat soak the carbs and cause the fuel to boil. When that happens, you won't go anywhere... ask me how I know. When I had the stock mechanical fan constantly moving air, I only had percolation issues if I sat for an extended period. When I put an electric fan, air flow was blocked from flowing through the rad (due to a combination of issues), so the exhaust heat would radiate up and eventually boil the fuel in the float bowls. Once I made a heat shield, the problem seemed to be cured. I got one use out of it before my engine decided it didn't want to live anymore.

6A683E98-5F23-441C-B78D-ECE0652CC4F1_zps

• Like 1

Yea the plan for the Mikuni's are to use them on an L20b I have ready to put together. I guess the best thing for a L16 that is stock, and without spending more money is use the dgv's. I do have a L16 that had been bored out some when it was rebuilt I plan to put in the wagon here soon maybe I can use the square top su setup on that motor. I have kits for them and they will need to be cleaned up.

You'll get way better mileage with SUs. I have 38 flat tops on my l20, runs perfect. The stock l20 cam is the same as the sss l16 cam so they're a great match. Those flatties look like they'd be good to go with a new linkage kit.

You'll get way better mileage with SUs. I have 38 flat tops on my l20, runs perfect. The stock l20 cam is the same as the sss l16 cam so they're a great match. Those flatties look like they'd be good to go with a new linkage kit.

I have had them for a while and got kits for them. Just have never messed with any before. Not sure what to look for in way of issues other than slop in movement in linkage and such. The whole set up is there. I an not sure of the size or if they would work on a L16 or would it be too moch carb. As for the L20B I like the Mikunis not worried about the mileage. Just want to beef up the performance on an L16 in the 72 sedan or wagon and the SU's would be cool.

Perfectly stock SUs on a stock L16 is more than enough... 40s on a stock L16 feels too big, and it's going to feel like an On/Off switch under throttle. Single large sidedraft might work, but I've never been a huge fan of them just because I think there are better solutions. I've even known guys to run 36/38 DGVs on cammed and bored L20s before because they like the driveability of that carb, so you can't go wrong with it on an L16.

Edit, I meant 32/36 DGV... Shows you how much I really know about downdrafts....

• Like 1

The SUs, actually Hitachi SUs have one great advantage over a regular carb. Even if they are too big they simply don't get fully used whereas a too large 32/36 or monster 38/38 weber opened too quickly just hangs in a bog condition. The Hitachi is a constant velocity carb. The carb adjusts the venturi constantly to keep the air flow the same through all the RPM range. Try flooring a 32/36 from idle and see what happens.

• Like 3

I was wondering about using dual Hitachi carbs from a 67.5 r16 roadster on an L20B and I found this post. Are they the "SU Hitachi" mentioned here?

My wife has several sets of her many roadsters if I can talk her out of them.

I picked up 3 l20b's (unknown condition) and I have one original sitting in the garage with 30k miles.

I picked up a 219 head with a "Cal cams" cam and I also have a set of headers. I'm not an expert on building a high performance engine and my 521 and 510 are both pretty stock now (except a weber on the 510).

I'm thinking about having one of the unknown L20B's bored and using the parts mentioned. If it would work, all im missing is a manifold to attach the su's to the L20b.

Thoughts?

The Roadsters used the Hitachi style SUs but I think the throttle plates turn the opposite direction to the L16/18SSS SUs.  Anyone?

You may need to get creative in your linkage and you will need an L series intake.

• Like 1

The Roadster carbs have a couple of issues. Some of them (I believe) had a four bolt mounting system, like the Z cars, meaning you need to figure out a way to jerry-rig them to the 220 four cylinder manifold. 

I can't confirm the problem with the butterflies opening in a different direction, but Z Therapy's site would be a good place to start looking,

http://www.ztherapy.com/  Take a look through their "spotter's guides" for the main differences between Hitachi SUs. 

I also know that none of the Roadster used the same linkage as a 510, mainly because the orientation of the float bowls relative to the carbs was different. (They were either oriented with the bowls facing inwards - between the two carbs - or, in the 1600 roadster's case, they both used the same carb, resulting in their being one bowl between the carbs and one on the leading edge, the side towards the radiator.)

• Like 1

My son tells me he has a set of dual weber 40's that he is willing to trade for one of my weber 32/36's for a Toyota he's putting together.

I haven't seen them yet so i don't know much about them. But, I'm thinking they would work if I can find a manifold to fit them to the l20b.