carb not getting fuel

450rman

85 720 weber carb new fuel pump and fresh rebuild on engine. Was running good until recently. All of a sudden its not getting enough gas. I can let the fuel pump run for about 15 seconds then the truck will start but quickly runs out of fuel and dies. I did put an inline fuel filter under the hood and still has filter by fuel pump. I am stumped.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your replacement pump is maybe too small for the job.

There is a fuel filter before the pump. If dirty, the pump won't work.

Take the hose off the carb and direct into a bucket. Try the pump. If working properly it should deliver 1.4 liters or about 48 US fluid ounces in a minute or less. If it passes then the carb float is set too high or there is a blockage in the carb. Do webers have a screen on their inlet?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, thanks for the input. So i pulled the fuel line off at the carb and it definately seems like its not enough fuel. It will idle all day but as soon as i drive it, it runs out of fuel. Either filter, faulty pump that isnt pumping enough fuel, or old fuel line collapsing?

Well if there is fuel to the carb maybe the carb is not letting it in.

Usually there is a brass screen at the carb inlet. This could have collected some debris and id part plugged.

The needle valve on the float may be stuck or the float set too high.

Your replacement pump is maybe too small for the job.

There is a fuel filter before the pump. If dirty, the pump won't work.

Well it was replaced, maybe too small?.

Then there is still the carb float set too high.

I'm having the same problem right now. Only thing is that I have a stock carb and not getting fuel to it. Was running fine last week now it doesn't even idle. I have a brand new fuel pump and filter. But not getting nothing at the carb. Idk how to check the actual line since its a metal line between the fuel pump and carb. Any suggestions would be awesome!