Let's play.. name, that, sound....??

Draker

Background....

I just finished swapping in an L20. I've been putting some miles on it this week and yesterday I started to notice this sound. I can only hear it in the cabin... at idle. Seems to be centered around the ebrake. or gas pedal area. I got the stethoscope out last night but was checking from the engine bay.. I couldn't pin-point it. Tonight I'll try to listen from inside the car...

Anyway, name.. that.... sound!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound happens with hood open. No sounds can be heard in the engine bay, just inside the cabin.

All good guesses though. At the end of the video I rest my phone directly on the parking brake and the sound is a bit clearer. I really think it's coming from there.. or something close to it.

You're fuct.........needs an engine....

Another one?

Hope you got an extended warrantee.

Unless you prefer fixing it yourself. It's the flap in the cabin heater radiator. The foam is dissolved and the flap is rattling. Buy some window weather foam and stick it on

Hm... I'll check this.

• Like 1

Hope you got an extended warrantee.

Unless you prefer fixing it yourself. It's the flap in the cabin heater radiator. The foam is dissolved and the flap is rattling. Buy some window weather foam and stick it on

That is a fare possibility.

I found two things.. The throttle linkage mount that bolts to the firewall was loose. Also the linkage mount on the carb that is held on with a single nut was loose.

Tightened those both up... and I believe the sound is gone.

Now... on to the next fucking clanking, buzzing, squeeking part. No short of them in a Datsun.

My glove box rattles, the board mounted behind the rear seat buzzes like a million bees at 60mph in 5th.. I've got some funky clunking sound on accell.

Anyway... NEXT!

thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 2

I found two things.. The throttle linkage mount that bolts to the firewall was loose. Also the linkage mount on the carb that is held on with a single nut was loose.

Tightened those both up... and I believe the sound is gone.

Now... on to the next fucking clanking, buzzing, squeeking part. No short of them in a Datsun.

My glove box rattles, the board mounted behind the rear seat buzzes like a million bees at 60mph in 5th.. I've got some funky clunking sound on accell.

Anyway... NEXT!

thanks for the suggestions.

The buzzing sound,

I would check your bearings and u joints. Make sure your gear oil is topped off.

The glove box shouldn't be hard to figure.

The buzzing sound,

I would check your bearings and u joints. Make sure your gear oil is topped off.

The glove box shouldn't be hard to figure.

These two are nothing.. just applying the right amount of foam tape in the right spots. Nothing wrong with the rear end.

I found two things.. The throttle linkage mount that bolts to the firewall was loose. Also the linkage mount on the carb that is held on with a single nut was loose.Tightened those both up... and I believe the sound is gone.Now... on to the next fucking clanking, buzzing, squeeking part. No short of them in a Datsun.My glove box rattles, the board mounted behind the rear seat buzzes like a million bees at 60mph in 5th.. I've got some funky clunking sound on accell.Anyway... NEXT!thanks for the suggestions.

Sounds like drive train behind the tranny on throttle it has torque

Possible yoke on the drive shaft

Let's hear the sound

I wanna play

Farmer

• Like 1

I have funny noices coming from the back, squeak....squeak....squeak...., maybe we should get together and try figure out each other's noices :lol: but I guarantee once we find them a new one will pop up, seems to be the norm with mine at least, it's the Ratsun effect :rofl:

I have funny noices coming from the back, squeak....squeak....squeak...., maybe we should get together and try figure out each other's noices :lol: but I guarantee once we find them a new one will pop up, seems to be the norm with mine at least, it's the Ratsun effect :rofl:

Too many beans........

• Like 2

I actually agree with this! I have tried killing so many noises.. but I need another person in the car to isolate them.

My last attempt was driving the car with the back seat out.. I'd drive about 60mph in 5th gear and with a 4-5ft wooden poll try to stop the buzzing from the wooden divider that's behind the seat. With all the foam I put behind it... it still buzzes. 

If had someone riding back there... it would be so easy.

There is a difference between road noise... and squeaks and buzzing... I can't take squeaks and buzzing. Honestly, yeah it's an old car. But there is a lot less shit in there to make noise. No excuses.

• Like 1

I had a noise like that and it turned out to be the where the dash is connected to the lower metal frame just right of the steering column.. next to the center section.. The screw looked tight but ,,it wasn't tight enough so at certain RPMs or speeds it would rattle like crazy,, other times ,,,,,,,, nothing.   You would think you could find it pretty easy but i chased that rattling / echoing damn noise for months. 

Have you thought of just turning radio up?

Yo GPA I know this^^ are should I say I know what your saying

But when I first read this, I was like what! But than I figured it out that you were talking like Joe Pesci from my cousin Vinny with his accent

I have funny noices coming from my back!

Judge-- you have what coming from your back?

Joe-- noices! You know noices! Squeak squeak squeak

Judge-- puts hand over his face, just like the two yut's I guess

Just ribbing you

Farmer

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

I found that using no sound deadening on the firewall is great for lessening any other noises. I can't hear sh!t else besides the engine and my little JVC radio is always in competition to try winning the sound race!! You could always throw a giant pair (wait, datsun, unless you have a king cab) of subwoofers in the back and then you won't ever hear anything inside or outside the truck again!

• Like 1

Yo GPA I know this^^ are should I say I know what your saying

But when I first read this, I was like what! But than I figured it out that you were talking like Joe Pesci from my cousin Vinny with his accent

I have funny noices coming from my back!

Judge-- you have what coming from your back?

Joe-- noices! You know noices! Squeak squeak squeak

Judge-- puts hand over his face, just like the two yut's I guess

Just ribbing you

Farmer

That's Yooots

• Like 1