rear axle bearing

sebpv

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when all else fails, what do you do to remedie an axle bearing? I tried hammer, slide hammer, sledge hammer... I doubt installing a tire would be much better at this point...

I have no idea how to remedie anything! But please post video of whatever you are doing with the sledge hammer!

For the sledge hammer or what I call the BFH around here, I simply laid the assembly on 4x4s with the axle free to drop in between. To prevent damage to the axle tip, I wrapped the tip with a thick layer of rags. Then BAAM! But it wouldnt work...

To remove the bearing use a cutting disc on the outer race. Remove balls and bearing cage, then again the cutting wheel to slit across the inner race but not into the axle. Now place a blunt chisel in the grove and hit with a hammer to split it.

ya I saw that video. It seems to turn fine. I will take it out and inspect it first. I would simply replace if I lived in the states, but with our shitty dollar and shippings fees; gotta save up where new is not a necessity.