h190 frontier lsd in a 720?

Spiff

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez... Let's bring this thread back to life. I really want a solid lad option for my 620 and if there's a direct swap over from a 720 or D21 rear diff with similar or even taller gearing than what my stock h190 has then I'd be very happy ;)

I'm all about keeping my modifications and parts swapping to my 620 100% Datsun/Nissan instead of going the ford ranger, explorer or mustang 8.8" rear diff swap route or something from a Chevy S10.

Correction to my first post: **** I really want a solid LSD option****

There is an EDIT button at the bottom of every post you make. Click it and you can change the spelling rather than another post.

It's mostly laid out on the first page.

Your 620 has an H-190 and 4.375 ratio. See post #4, 11 and 14 for a taller ratio LSD H-190. You should be able to pop the axles to the side 6", disconnect the drive shaft, unbolt the third member and swap the D-21/Frontier unit in. Hardest part is finding one.

• Like 1

Ah I see what you mean now. I can only see the edit button after tapping the bottom of the post while on a mobile device. Thank you for that heads up. I know it shows clear as day on a computer.

As far as the d21/Frontier diff internals goes are you just saying I can swap in the newer and taller gear set that also has an LSD if I happen to find one or just the ring and pinion gear/open diff from a standard d21/frontier?

Thank you in advance for the reply.

I try and look into things and study as much as I can. I'm just limited at times right now due to work and also I see a bunch of speculation on this subject instead of facts. From what I'm tracking the h190 isn't built to handle much more than about 200ft/lbs of torque. For that reason it makes me want to upgrade it all together to a diff with higher spline count for the axles and a strong LSD. I think that's why many people upgrade or suggest on this forum to upgrade to ford 8.8"/9" rear diffs, Chevy diffs or even use Toyota diffs. I even came across a guy in SoCal that used a Nissan Titan rear diff and he just shortened the diff to make it the same WMS measurement from his 620. He then had custom length axles made. That option wasn't the cheapest but it workeded well and held up great for his torque and handling requirements needed from the diff. The guy had a SR20 engine pushing 470ft/lbs and 510hp :)

There is an EDIT button at the bottom of every post you make. Click it and you can change the spelling rather than another post.

It's mostly laid out on the first page.

Your 620 has an H-190 and 4.375 ratio. See post #4, 11 and 14 for a taller ratio LSD H-190. You should be able to pop the axles to the side 6", disconnect the drive shaft, unbolt the third member and swap the D-21/Frontier unit in. Hardest part is finding one.

Ok I think I see what you mean and I found a bunch of info on datsun1200.com

Pathfinders run an lsd hb233 axle. The first generation is the narrowest, but still like 1.5 inches wider than a 720 axle. But they are also 4 link axles so you would need to weld on leaf spring plates. Not sure about 2wd but 4wd were also very high numerically, like 4.6 or so. That has to be dealt with....

Another option would be a d21 hb233 (leaf spring axle) and swap pathfinder lsd into it while still at the Junkyard. Might make it easier. Not sure about the distance between spring pads though.

Actually it's an HG 233 for the D21 and WD21.

B would be for something with a much smaller ring gear like a 710 or maybe a B-210 

Pathfinders were all 4.375 or 4.625 and all LSD equipped.

Hardbodys ranged from 3.70 up to 4.625 and LSD only available with the optional Sports or Baja package and only if 4wd and 4.375 or 4.625 ratios. Not positive but fairly sure that 4.375 and 4.625 was not available without LSD.

I had my B in the wrong place I think. I'm seeing H233b used for that axle on the 4x4 forums. I know hg is the code stamped on the engine bay tags though. Regardless, see DMs post above for the good stuff :)

Edit: found some more info. Apparently before '90 the axle is an h233. After '90, they changed some things about the guts in the diff and gave it the h233b moniker. Supposedly "a" and b ring and pinions are not interchangeable, but can't confirm that.

More info on a vs b axles if anyone but me cares to read it. These guys are taking about patrols but the axle info is valid for US axles.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-mq-mk-12/h233-clarification-58607/#/forumsite/20678/topics/58607?page=1

• 3 weeks later...

I have  a  H190 axle now from a D21  4x4 z24 with factory LSD. I was gonna use it in my 720 but it's about 5cm wider at each end than the stock H165 I have now, so I'm looking for another option since the wheels would stick out too far. Therefore thinking of selling the lsd and gearset 'cause I've come in to contact with a guy who has a 720 4x4 with a c200 axle with lsd he says. I'm still waiting for a measurement and confirmation that it is indeed lsd.

There's also a H190 lsd for sale on ebay at the moment for 450USD

So I've heard. But there was also mentioned here that only 2wd D21's had the H190 diff  when it turned out the european 4x4's had it so who knows what went down on this side of the pond?  Anyway, if the measurements are okay width wise I don't see any problems buying it even if it isn't lsd, because I could always get a R200 lsd or even a C200 lsd to fit in it, which is probably cheaper than getting the h190 axle shortened. You wouldn't happen to know the track width of a 4wd 720 versus a 2wd would you?