h190 frontier lsd in a 720?

Spiff

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know. My info shows the ring gear having only 8 bolt holes on the H-190. You would want 29 axle splines also.

I think all H190's have 8-bolt crown wheel but the newer ones using 12mm bolts instead of 10. That's an easy workaround though as it would only require machining a set of spacers for the bolt holes.  

Did the truck series ever change axle splines? I know the spline count for the cars are different but I thought the trucks all used 29? I don't know, I've sent them an email asking for this so hopefully I'll get a positive reply!

That picture shows 10 bolt holes, but it may not be a an H-190 just ab lSD picture) Almost for sure they are 29 splines, but I don't know for certain. (the S12 used an H-190 that had 29 splines, but yes, most all cars are 23)

You know that the 2wd '89-'93 4 cylinder D-21 Hardbody trucks ran an H-190 and there was an LSD option from the factory?

• Like 1

Yes I am aware, however "noone" ever buys a 2wd pickup in Norway as they're useless at the first sight of snow  (which is why I'm looking for a lsd in the first place) :P  Probably easier to find unicorn poo... 

My other option is one from a 4wd 720 or d21. But I think the d21 use a  c200 axle so that wouldn't work unless you swapped the whole axle out and that wouldn't be bolt on either I think?

So, I've sent a few people with parts and parts cars for sale a message and one who had a d21 z24 4x4 said it had an lsd, so I ask if its the h190 or c200 diff, he didn't know but sent me pictures on the phone. 

This looks like an H190 to me?

th_mms_20150803_202705.jpg

th_mms_20150803_202700.jpg

I asked if he could get a picture of the engine plaque to see what it says about the transaxle but is this possible, maybe we got something other in europe.  I'm hopefull but we'll see...

Got an answer from 4x4parts, this looks promising:

"Hello Tom,
H190 LSD uses 8 ring gear bolts and has 29 splines for axle shafts.
If we can be of any further assistance or you wish to order, call or you can order on line at www.4x4parts.com"

I've asked if it's 10 or 12 mm bolts but with it being for a newer rear end I assume it's 12.

So, I've sent a few people with parts and parts cars for sale a message and one who had a d21 z24 4x4 said it had an lsd, so I ask if its the h190 or c200 diff, he didn't know but sent me pictures on the phone. 

This looks like an H190 to me?

th_mms_20150803_202705.jpg

th_mms_20150803_202700.jpg

I asked if he could get a picture of the engine plaque to see what it says about the transaxle but is this possible, maybe we got something other in europe.  I'm hopefull but we'll see...

Looks like an H-190 but 4x4s were C200 with 4 cylinder and H-233 with V6. Engine tag will ID what was installed at the factory but not if it's LSD or not. LSD equipped differentials usually had an orange sticker...

Pathfinder--D-21conversion039Large.jpg

Pathfinder--D-21conversion034Large.jpg

So I just got an email from 4x4parts, they say the ring gear bolts are 12mm.

So for this to work in an older style h190 you would have to get some spacers made up to enable you to use your old 10mm bolts and crown wheel, or you would need pinion gears from a newer frontier.

So I just got an email from 4x4parts, they say the ring gear bolts are 12mm.

So for this to work in an older style h190 you would have to get some spacers made up to enable you to use your old 10mm bolts and crown wheel, or you would need pinion gears from a newer frontier.

Later hardbodys had 12mm H190 diffs if I'm not mistaken...should be able to find a gear set in a desired ratio

I see 4x4parts also sells gear sets for the different diffs so it's all a matter of how much money you wanna throw at this lsd conversion.

Personally I'd just get some spacers/sleeves machined up to enable you to use your existing gear. It's cheap, and it works.

Perhaps, but Nissan did have gearsets available to purchase if so inclined, even if they didn't offer that specific ratio on out-the-door models.

In 2004 a turn of the century H-190  3.70 Hardbody gear set was $677.53 I assume that higher ratios are no cheaper and this was 15 years ago.

I see 4x4parts also sells gear sets for the different diffs so it's all a matter of how much money you wanna throw at this lsd conversion.

Personally I'd just get some spacers/sleeves machined up to enable you to use your existing gear. It's cheap, and it works.

This.

I went to check out a d21 king cab today that was being parted out a little closer to me, that was a 4x4, z24 and it did NOT have the c200. Just like the one I posted pictures of earlier this had the H190. And the guy selling it said most of the d21's he had been in contact with (he was a Nissan mechanic) had lsd's. I jacked it up to make sure and both wheels spun the same way. So this probably means Nissan continued with the H190 here in Norway and possibly Europe or Scandinavia...

Anyways I have found myself an lsd :-D

And here is where this story takes a turn for the worse; after having a really good look at my own axle I do believe mine has the smaller H165, so my thoughts of just replacing the diff unit fell apart. 

I'm gonna need to swap the entire axle...

Much work getting this 4x4 axle to work on my truck? 

here's the axle I found:

th_DSC_0032.jpg

th_DSC_0031.jpg

th_DSC_0030.jpg

My own axle doesn't have the "Y" welds on each side of the center, only a straight weld along the entire axle, like the photos I've seen after googling h165 differential.

Look on your 720 and the D-21 inner fender under the right hood hinge. There should be an engine tag with the axle information stamped on it. Bottom right corner...

720... HF is H-190. 38 is 3.889 ratio

720stuff060Large.jpg

D-21... HG is H233 and 46 is 4.625 ratio.

720stuff061Small.jpg