B210 Alternator converstion

Tolkmod

Hi Guys,

So i just bought a new 80amp alternator, it's internally regulated and is an almost exact match (just slightly bigger) to my current alt.

When i bought it, the guy who sold it to me said that he would send me instructions (yeah, i know laugh at me... i'll wait till you're done....)

Okay, hopefully you've settled down enough to finish reading this.

So, Here are the instructions he sent with the alternator.  

20150731_140048.jpg

Needless to say it's not very detailed.  At least it was an attempt right? lol

Anyways, I've been reading up a lot on these external regulators and from what I can see I need to jump a few wires together to make everything happy.

Anyone have some words of wisdom to share on what wires, etc that I need to jumper and if I even still need the regulator?

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks for posting this link. I was reading through it last Fri and a light went on. I converted my 710 to an Altima alternator and the two wire plug into the alternator back is different. I earlier had spliced the two pair of wires to get rid of the regulator and then made a short jumper/adapter so the original harness not be cut. 

100ampAltimaaltswap020Large.jpg

100ampAltimaaltswap035Large.jpg

Oh yeah. Two years ago maybe three I swapped an '02 100a Altima alternator into my 710. Had to convert it from external voltage regulator. Just before Canby this year I installed a volt meter and on the trip down I noticed the alt not charging part way down. A few hours and starts later it was fine, then it wasn't gain. Anyway for the whole trip it was not working 4 out of 5 starts but always eventually charged and as you can drive all day on a charged battery I kept Going. HRH (what a guy) lent me a spare alternator just in case but never needed it and drove the 2-3 thousand miles and home. I have noticed that at home it shows charging more than not charging when starting it up and the only difference is the car sits all week and I run it maybe once on the week end. So the alternator has trouble starting to charge if the car has been charging for hours and I shut it off for gas. But if it sits all week maybe the battery is low and it charges right away.

Well I was reading up on internal alternator conversions and went out and checked.... There is no charge light with the key on. How the hell have I not seen this in three years??? Is it because it always charges eventually and there has never been a bad start? Yes I miss wired the two wires to the plug on the alternator. The sense wire for the charge lamp was on the field position.... so no lamp but when needed it did manage to charge. Swap the two wires and charge lamp lights up and 3 out of 3 (so far) starts it charges!!!!

Note that it always charged as the battery got lower and it always kept the battery full that there was no noticeable cranking and starting problem. Without the volt meter I would never have known about this. Anyway thanks again.

Speaking of that ive also been reading a ton on this as well as looking at my new factory service manual that i got. I'm now under the impression that when the PO bought the alt thats currently in the car he got an internally regulated one, because it matches all the configuration of the one described in that artical. That might be why im having so many weird issues with my alt.

Im gonna take some more pics and do a little more research as well.

Is there a way to definitively see if an alt is internally regulated by looking at any markings on the outside of it?

Also, would it even start/run if an internally regulated alt was plugged in as if it were an externally regulated one?