Datsun b210 engine swap ideas

Pr0t0lyfe

Hey guys I'm new to Datsun crowd and I'm looking for fun engine swap ideas for my 1979 b210

It's got an A15 in it now with auto trans

what's a good engine trans combo people usually run in these cars

I was thinking an I6 from a 240 would be cool but would it fit?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An L6 would be way too long to fit without really cutting into the firewall. It could be done, but there are much easier swaps. This site should give you an overview:

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Category:Engine_Modifications

An L18 or L20 will be easy to find and probably cheapest. A KA would be a considerable step up from an L but still relatively affordable. I didn't read through all the swap pages, but I suspect some fabrication skills are needed for modifying cross-members or motor mounts.

Len

• Like 1

You could but it's a lot of work/money. For 150 hp just swap a KA engine and transmission in. It's a lot of work and money but it makes 150 all day before any mods. It's EFI so easy starts, good power and mileage. Done.

I would build an LZ hybrid engine 2.2 or 2.3 and stay with carbs. But that's me.

The KA would give the most bang for the buck in the long run. Although there is more fab work to get it in vs an L, that effort will more than pay for itself. Honestly, it's not that hard to coaxing 150hp out of an L20 but pushing it will sacrifice longevity. Like Mike said, a KA24DE will easily make that kind of hp with gobs of torque to boot. 

You'll need to upgrading the 210's chassis to handle that kind of power. Don't make the mistake of thinking you can just drop in a bigger motor and go taring up the street. Do your homework for the whole build.

Best of luck

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=KA_Engine_Swap

Braking and handling. Your braking should always exceed your performance. Some accident situations can be resolved simply by avoiding them. Braking first though.

280zx or later Maxima struts will lower your ride height (lowering the center of gravity reduces that tendency for a vehicle to feel like it is tipping over on a turn) and it give you massive calipers and large vented rotors. You may need 14" rims for clearance but in the long run you probably want to go bigger tire anyway. Rear springs can be fitted with lowering blocks to match the front height. An extra leaf added to increase the stiffness.

• Like 1

Well the fuel system needs a high pressure pump and a return line.

You would need a KA 5 speed or one from a NAPS Z series engine... either way the trans mount and the drive shaft will need modifications.

The KA is EFI so all the wiring needs to be grafted into the Bee.

KA motor mounts, oil pan clearance, exhaust, larger rad all need addressing and then the H-150 differential is a bit light for the power.