Draw through junkyard turbo installed and running under $100

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont take the jet out, but get a micro drill bit set or some welding torch cleaning files. ones that are around the normal jet sizes. 

you can drill the jet out to where it works, and if you go too far, just solder it shut and start over. 

done this many a time to get webers jetted right without having to pay big money for new jets. 

• Like 3

Dude, the dashboard pics are from a different truck.  The turbo is on my 720.  Read the whole thread before you post b.s.

Seriously? Who cares what truck the dash picts came from. Download Firefox to your PC so you can upload picts... Please!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't been here in awhile but to the naysayers, you can turbo anything.

Your engine is probably cutting out because it's running to rich at 4000rpm once the secondaries kick in.

For a draw through, fuel is atomized as it is compressed and cools the air charge. So you don't need an innercooler at 7-10 psi. Don't use just a washer nozzle before turbo, it doesn't atomize enough and will destroy your compressor blades. Does your motor have crankcase ventalation? You can lesson the dip stick from shooting out oil if you run a proper crankcase vent into a catch can with a vacuum line running before the turbo. If your block has no crankcase vent and you seal everything up then oil is probably getting shot up and past the rings, that's probably why you are burning oil and smoking out the tail pipe now.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

NICE JOB!!

I generously 'timed' the 0-60 and it seems to be about 15 seconds. Can anyone confirm or am I not seeing something? I tried to compute (on line http://www.060calculator.com/ ) the hp from this (admittedly poor subjective numbers) and for a 3,600 lb vehicle (guessing about the 4x4 weight) 80 hp should be 14.5 seconds to 60.

It admit it's hard to get a true impression on a U-Tube video but that engine doesn't sound like it's really revving out much. Kind of short shifted. Yeah I hear the tires but this was turning out onto the highway.

• 5 months later...

Just want to remind you that the timing was backed way, I mean way off, for that run.  With that said, I now bring us to point two.  Average 0-60 times in that truck were approx. 24 seconds before any engine mods were done.  I own 4 of these trucks in various models, and even with a weber, after 150,000 hard miles, they just don't have the stock power anymore.  Point three.  I did crank the timing up an do several runs that were much more impressive.  On these runs there was no way to hold my cell phone so you could see the gauges and drive at the same time.  You guys are lucky I was able to film the one run I did.

Point 4  I am away from that project in another state.  Returning in spring, I'm trying to locate a real turbo.  You know, not one I literally found in the local dump.  I had a lot of fun for virtually no money, but would like to set it up right, so it's reliable.  I can, and will fab any new partsrequired. Any advice on what turbo's I should look for on craigslist/, at pick n pull yards, larger scrap yards, ect.

I've heard a small diesel turbo with built in blowoff, or really anything smaller with a built in relief alve,  Anyone know what to look for.  I am also looking for a complete z22 or 224 engine, as I may a blown a hole in a piston.  I haven't even done a compression test, but it starts real hard and will blow a smoke ring every once in a while while trying to start.  Dosen't look good.  Time to get a spare.  I need a cheap engine or truck in the Spokane/cda area, that I can ship up to my truck in Alaska. Can't afford a complete rebuild at this point.  Hoping to find a good 2ndrunning engine in a wrecked truck.  I am set up an can deal with hauling a totaled truck/car away.  May travel to other places in pacific northwest.  Need to get it done by end of  week in march.  Thanks

Subaru turbos are plentiful and quality,and setup for that size-ish engine.

Ka24 will physically bolt to your transmission, but not to the truck without some work. It Wasn't ever carbed, so either you build a carb manifold, attempt to carb using d21 tbi manifold, or install fuel injection, which also means ecu tuning for turbo.

L series engines will work also with your trans if you swap out to an L series bellhousing/front half case.

Oil pans are your biggest problem on the 4x4. Nothing clears the front diff but the stock one without major pan surgery.

• 6 months later...

It runs.   Same old issues.  Still needs vent/can mod. Oil drain to pan mod, new carb, and lots of other stuff.  No time to do anything.  It was a stressful year, and now I have to leave.  I plan to improve on what is there next year.  Sorry no pics.  It will have to sit outside this winter, but I will wrap it up. 

Thanks to all for the help.  Will update when I have something new.

Hey Fo0manchu,   Could you explain more how the vent with vacuum line would be configured.  Thanks.