L20B and Side-Drafts

Burns85

Hi Guys,

I can honestly say Ive tried searching, but have more questions. Anyways, I have an L20B and am taking off the Webber 32/36 (stock manifold) and putting on a some side-draft dellortos (weatherford intake). I have bought linkage, cleaned the carbs, have filters, a fuel pressure regulator and all the necessary parts to make this work. My questions stem from the coolant passages.

1) Nipple near the lower radiator hose: For this I plan to use a rubber coolant line plug, slide it over the cast nipple and clamp it.

2) The output off the thermostat housing: Plan to plug this with a brass NPT plug.

3) Return into the block (big hole under the headers): This is where my problem lies. What I pulled out was a hard line with a slip fit type of joint going into the block. I don't just want to put a bolt in the rubber line (coming off the hardline) and forget about it. I want it to be a little more professional. Is there anything I can do other than tapping this hole with an NPT Tap and plugging it?

4) Two coolant passages in the head (than went to the intake): My plan was to put my new manifold on the head and pray that the pressure is low enough that these don't cause a leak. The new manifold has two reliefs milled into it where the coolant passages would pass through if it were to have them. My though is Ill bolt the manifold on and forget about them unless a problem arises.

Other than that, things are looking good. Carbs are clean, linkage is mostly set up, fuel pressure regulator has a location and I'm getting excited to have this thing rip.

Thanks!!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1/ and 2/.... No. Keep and use the water line from the thermostat down to the lower rad inlet. This is the by pass hose and it allows coolant to constantly flow past the thermostat. The thermostat is a long way from the hot water deep in the engine and would otherwise be sensing the much cooler stalled water surrounding the thermostat. Just plug off the short line from the return line to the old intake.

3/ Again, no. This is the block vent to the PCV valve. All effort should be made to keep this vent system working. The PCV valve draws out the condensation and combustion gasses, extending the oil change interval and engine life. The engine stays cleaner inside. At the very least, this vent should be open to allow vapors and humidity to escape. Leave the metal tube on but shorten it and run a hose down beside the block out of site. I don't suppose this new intake has a hole for the PCV valve? Pitty.

4/ The stock intakes bolt on and seal so there should be no problem here. The intake gasket for a '75-'77 L20B does not have the holes for coolant or you could tap and plug them. They are not really an issue. Coolant pressure is limited to the 13 PSI rad cap. 

Awesome, thanks guys! I will plum the Line from the thermostat housing down to the lower radiator hose nipple (see #1 and #2), then put a small air filter on the PCV vent (see #3) as the new intake system doesn't have anywhere to hook it up. As far as the intake/holes into the head....I will bolt the intake on and see if any issues arise from there (#4). So far it is really cool to see my car/engine coming together. Wish I had a photobucket so that I could share some pics, as these dellortos are beautiful!

As far as the fuel pressure regulator goes, I am still planning to run it. My friend who sold me the dellortos races SCCA (L and A series tube frame race car) and he said as the dellortos were much happier with a constant pressure. He is a Weber guy, but raced the dellortos for years so I figure it wont hurt to have it!