Alternator Swap

Rondaddy

After a number of issues with the charging system in my 510, my mechanic is recommending I go to an internally regulated alternator and replace some degraded wiring.  I've searched the site and read the threads regarding this swap and am left with more questions than answers.  Can you guys tell me precisely what alternator I should buy that is internally regulated and that mounts up without mods to the hardware. I understand this will involve some rewiring and I'm not concerned about that.  I need the "Alternator Swap for Dummies" recommendation.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

be honest nothing wrong with the stock sytem

What you mean # of issues? Mechanic?? It can only be the alternator or the Volt reg. If one gets a Solid state volt reg this is a updat already and just plug it in.If other issues its mostly just clean connections.

What motor you have ? as this determins the bolt size used on the alternator

Most L20 use the bigger bolts and thus you can use a 50amp External volt reg from a l20 610s and 710s then use a Internal volt reg type from the later Datsun by doing the 2 jumpers on the Volt reg connecter.

If you have a L16 motor most alternatorare the smaller hole size in the block and the ears and needs modifcation

I know you went to Olddatsuns.com the tech section and read everything on there and printed it and put it in your note book

be honest nothing wrong with the stock sytem

What you mean # of issues? Mechanic?? It can only be the alternator or the Volt reg. If one gets a Solid state volt reg this is a updat already and just plug it in.If other issues its mostly just clean connections.

What motor you have ? as this determins the bolt size used on the alternator

Most L20 use the bigger bolts and thus you can use a 50amp External volt reg from a l20 610s and 710s then use a Internal volt reg type from the later Datsun by doing the 2 jumpers on the Volt reg connecter.

If you have a L16 motor most alternatorare the smaller hole size in the block and the ears and needs modifcation

I know you went to Olddatsuns.com the tech section and read everything on there and printed it and put it in your note book

I have a Rebello built 1.6. I have replaced the alternator and voltage regulator to no avail.  The car does not make enough volts at idle.  The engine has a small crankshaft pulley which I'm told may be contributing to this.  I wasn't aware that seeking the input of an experienced mechanic was discouraged here. I'm admittedly a dummy. I'm looking for a tried and true solution.  I can tell you this, my car was running fine until I was on my way to the vintage race weekend in Watkins Glen on Friday. It stumbled and died. It was electrically dead, no lights, no crank, no nothing.  I'm told my new alternator is showing no output and my battery (which tested fine a month or so ago when we replaced the alternator) is now showing a dead cell. The local service shop, where I had the car towed, is recommending an internally regulated alternator as part of the solution. 

I did a search here and read the various postings about the Saturn alternators, Nissan alternators and the like. You might be surprised to know that people have differing opinions about what to do and how to do it. Those various opinions create a lot of confusion for guys like me who don't have a lot of experience with electrical issues. I was just looking for some friendly advice. Apparently that's difficult to come by given the dogmatic culture of this site. I have learned my lesson.

Rebello or not dont mean anything in this situation

You have a volt meter in the car?

I run a stock 35amper in my 521 and daily drive it. Its fine for normal use.

yes a small crankshaft pulley might do this. But if the heater is OFF and everything else then it should still have over 12.5 volts to stay running. Thats why I say have a meter you you can monitor the whats going on when you drive. . I use a diaode set up that i stick in the cig lighter and I read the voltage and shows if chargin or not.

a internal volt reg doesnt make more AMPS it just cuts the voltage off when making the AC part to regulate the voltage so you dont over charge and cook the battery.

Like I said the 50amper is the way to go but if you have a L16 the 50amper bolt holes are bigger and the L16 smaller thus the alternator will rattle in the mount thus causing more proplems as the L16 one of its weakness is the alternator hole size and mount( I hate them)

The Saturn Alt is not a tru bolt in if your not mechanical inclined.

Other Nissan are Ezer but like I said the bolt hole size. This is never mentioned alot

Optima red batterys suck if this is what you have. Very bad ratings on them since they got bought out a few years ago. I killed one in like 2 years.

another issue is battery cable. ends soemtimes crack and thus dont charge then kills a battery.

Cheap alternator rebuilds is a another bad issue thus a volt meter is a good sign to catch this early.

One will see it draw down alot of power when your driving this is a sign its going bad. Say lights on or heater. But with a 35amper you have to LEARN to drive it a certain way. Like have everything on and HIGH beam when at Idle is a Big no- no.

Not trying to be a Dick but key is" mounts up without mods "Is stock.

Maybe you just have junk parts

also take the alt to Napa to have cked out

Buy spare solid state volt regs from Autozone or carquest Dont buy the mechanical USA made ones. they SUCK bad. and when you get a new alt. have them load ck it also.

I have a 50amper on a l16 and I had the mount MACHINED OUT PEFECT to 3/8 i think hole size and ran a big bolt thru it so the 50amper would fit. if hand drilled it can be off thus oblonging the bolt holes and then more alternator proplems.

get this or something similar so you wont be stranded again

http://innova.com/en-US/Product/Detail/3721

If your driving most of the time it should be charging and fine.

Rev motor up a minute or so before shut down also

If new parts check out as good, I would guess your field wire isn't energizing. I've had other datsuns where for whatever reason this happened. Banzai is right though, start by having the new parts checked out.