Struggle

DatMo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I control my car's destiny every time I decide to hop into my B13 and take it to the store where it can get dinged, keyed, backed into and totaled by any soccer mom in an Escalade that simply doesn't give a shit about anything but what's going on at the other end of her cell phone. When I want to take a sunset cruise on the back roads or drive to the beach on a mid-week jaunt, I know where to find whichever irreplaceable piece of Japanese automotive history I decide to jump behind the wheel of.

You can get hit anytime you drive, even if you have a weekend warrior garage/trailer queen. Not driving a car for fear of a wreck is like not going outside for fear of a sunburn...callow. I've daily driven my 510 since I got it in '02, I guess I'll just have more joy in my life because of it.

OP, Datsuns are damn reliable, near bomb proof cars. Ask yourself if you'd enjoy a generic assed econobox over a 510. A car like a 510 makes any trip, even to the corner store, just plain more fun. Life's too short for fear of the unknown.

Risk goes up with the amount you drive. If driving for fun and/or enjoyment why are you daily driving it to work through rush hour traffic and other drivers who are idiots? I only ever daily drove a Datsun through economic necessity. It was cheap and easy to keep on the road and all I could afford. If you have no choice then fine, I totally get it. If you can afford to drive something new, cheap and reliable and save the enjoyment for when you can enjoy it.

• Like 1

Over the last 30 years there has been a shift towards overly complex and disposable cars and owners that don't want to, or owners that can't even if they want to, work on their cars to fix or just maintain them. Just shake your head and pay to have it fixed. Old Datsuns are from a era where the rad, oil and battery were checked weekly and tune up at least twice a year and consisted of setting the valve lash, replacing, filing or adjusting the points and setting the timing. Oil and filter twice a year and fuel filter every two years. A general look for leaks and check the belts and tires. ALL of this was easily possible to do by the owner. BONUS.... if your Datsun should quit on the highway you can usually fix it (if you are prepared to carry a small assortment of tools) or you will know what is wrong. Try that with todays cars but generally the better maintained the less the chance of this..

Can you daily a Datsun... YES but it comes at a cost of your time to do the work. Yes you can pay to have this done but YOU are probably more knowledgeable about your Datsun than today's mechanics, so why pay him 2 or 3 times what you make to figure things out?

I have two Datsuns in running order but almost never drive them to work. It's close enough to cycle year round. I rarely but sometimes do in the summer. If I worked 20 miles away I would get something else and save my Datsun. Others may not have that choice.

I agree with all Mike says here I myself drove my 72 Datsun wagon for over10 years maybe 15 before I had to go for a newer less easer for me to maintain car. But I drove that wagon for an average of 330 miles a week for the time I daily drove it. There was a lot of work to keep it going as well as a motor swap hear and there but I have done work on cars for a long time since back in the early 70s. I could not work on most of any newer cars without talking to a mechanic friend but that still does'nt mean I could do just anything I could do my 510. I miss using mine as a daily driver but all the ones you used to see down where I am at are all gone to the crusher or very hidden like mine are. But when I am at the house I do enjoy riding them even with all the work hear and there to keep them going.

All this controlling destiny/risk management rhetoric is simply self delusional bullshit. Anything can happen at any time. Sure, living in a rural area as I do may be statistically safer but there's idiots everywhere. My old man commuted over 100 miles a day for a few decades and the dumbass that ruined his beloved sports car was in our hometown, it was his only driving incident hes been in within my lifetime.

• Like 2

I drove my old 1200 Coupe twenty miles each way to work everyday for two years.  It only broke down once, and it was a clogged fuel line.  I fixed it with an air nozzle with 100lbs of pressure.  Ran great after that up the day I sold it.