Struggle

DatMo

do any of you commute with your Datsun? I may pick up a 510 to daily but driving 20 or so miles a day, I'm not sure the reliability will hold up well on my end so well. Any commuters out there?

• Like 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started commuting with my 510. If youre mechanically sound, tune it correctly, and maintain the car and check it, it can be a very reliable and strong daily driver.

I feel this exact way. I do know how to wrench and I didn't drive too far with my last dime so it never counted much as a daily.

I think I'm gonna do it. I'll just keep it simple with some su or single carb setup. Thanks!

Get something else to daily. It'll get wrecked. If you know how to work a set of wrenches, reliability won't be a factor.

It'll be as safe as any other car I get probably. I think I should be able to maintain it but Datsun does have the random break down factor lol

It'll be as safe as any other car I get probably. I think I should be able to maintain it but Datsun does have the random break down factor lol

True, but if something else gets wrecked there isn't another datsun sent to the crusher.

• Like 1

Get something else to daily. It'll get wrecked. If you know how to work a set of wrenches, reliability won't be a factor.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly

daily a beat datsun truck or 710 810 ect.

I daily a 521. But you cant be lazy and cheap.

Means buy good parts and alwasy ck if soemappears to start happening. Low alternstor out put(use a gauge)means fix it now not keep driving it

Noises ect. if dont feel right soemthing is going out.

I replace to many stuff t even list on my 521 in the 15years I had it. Relaiable yes for me. Maybe for you jo if you dont know how to adjust point ck carb ect. if your used to new cars then a Datsun is not for you

My 510 once I replaced most stuff its very reliable.

• Like 1

do any of you commute with your Datsun? I may pick up a 510 to daily but driving 20 or so miles a day, I'm not sure the reliability will hold up well on my end so well. Any commuters out there?

Seriously dude? You know I daily my 510 so yes, it can be reliable it all depends on how mechanically sound you are and if you have the money for parts when things need to be fixed. BUT like some are suggesting I would just daily something else cus "it could get wrecked", I'm actually gunna pick up something else to daily next yr. I enjoy it as a daily but I don't want to lose my ride to some idiot txting or w/e behind the wheel.

My neighbor has a nice 2dr 510 for sale. If your looking for one. It's a stock L16 with and auto trans. Would be good for a daily in so cal traffic.

But you won't be winning any races with it.

Over the last 30 years there has been a shift towards overly complex and disposable cars and owners that don't want to, or owners that can't even if they want to, work on their cars to fix or just maintain them. Just shake your head and pay to have it fixed. Old Datsuns are from a era where the rad, oil and battery were checked weekly and tune up at least twice a year and consisted of setting the valve lash, replacing, filing or adjusting the points and setting the timing. Oil and filter twice a year and fuel filter every two years. A general look for leaks and check the belts and tires. ALL of this was easily possible to do by the owner. BONUS.... if your Datsun should quit on the highway you can usually fix it (if you are prepared to carry a small assortment of tools) or you will know what is wrong. Try that with todays cars but generally the better maintained the less the chance of this..

Can you daily a Datsun... YES but it comes at a cost of your time to do the work. Yes you can pay to have this done but YOU are probably more knowledgeable about your Datsun than today's mechanics, so why pay him 2 or 3 times what you make to figure things out? 

I have two Datsuns in running order but almost never drive them to work. It's close enough to cycle year round. I rarely but sometimes do in the summer. If I worked 20 miles away I would get something else and save my Datsun. Others may not have that choice.

I daily drove my 510 40mi/day for nearly two years. I think I only had one mishap with it when the fan/alt belt broke on the way.

Otherwise it was a fix as you go type of situation. Worked well for me.

....flat tires....halfshaft destorying its self....voltage regulator....the entirety of the swap...

Hot off the press: I'm not even sure this was his daily driver, but it belongs to a guy who has been in the Datsun community for maybe longer than you've been alive, kiddo.

11745541_1911521369072039_46702858518019

This shit happens. "Daily". If you think you can daily a Datsun and not have it eradicated(just like your last one), then you're a naive fool. By all means, though, go for it. Makes the value of mine go up every time.

• Like 1

Hot off the press: I'm not even sure this was his daily driver, but it belongs to a guy who has been in the Datsun community for maybe longer than you've been alive, kiddo.

11745541_1911521369072039_46702858518019

This shit happens. "Daily". If you think you can daily a Datsun and not have it eradicated(just like your last one), then you're a naive fool. By all means, though, go for it. Makes the value of mine go up every time.

You can get hit anytime you drive, even if you have a weekend warrior garage/trailer queen. Not driving a car for fear of a wreck is like not going outside for fear of a sunburn...callow. I've daily driven my 510 since I got it in '02, I guess I'll just have more joy in my life because of it.

OP, Datsuns are damn reliable, near bomb proof cars. Ask yourself if you'd enjoy a generic assed econobox over a 510. A car like a 510 makes any trip, even to the corner store, just plain more fun. Life's too short for fear of the unknown.

• Like 3

....flat tires....halfshaft destorying its self....voltage regulator....the entirety of the swap...

I think I had like one flat while it was a daily. I was mostly driving Connies car when all that shit happened... Luckily it's been pretty good while it was getting me to work every day. *knock on wood grain Nardi*

You can get hit anytime you drive, even if you have a weekend warrior garage/trailer queen. Not driving a car for fear of a wreck is like not going outside for fear of a sunburn...callow. I've daily driven my 510 since I got it in '02, I guess I'll just have more joy in my life because of it.

OP, Datsuns are damn reliable, near bomb proof cars. Ask yourself if you'd enjoy a generic assed econobox over a 510. A car like a 510 makes any trip, even to the corner store, just plain more fun. Life's too short for fear of the unknown.

The sheer fact that hot chicks will strike a conversation with you while getting gas or just at a traffic light outweighs any fear of being hit whatsoever!