Reinstalling cam sprocket??

Duke

So I just did a little head rebuild/head gasket job and I'm getting the engine back together. I have run into a little problem getting the cam sprocket back on though. There just isn't enough slack in the timing chain to get the sprocket back on...so whats the trick here??? I'm sure its something super stupid easy that I'm overlooking.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the block in there, but how can I tell if the tensioner has come out. I can still see it in there against the chain, and it is loose, but it isn't giving me enough slack to get the cam gear on there...and I REALLY don't want to take the front cover off...F*$k.

A friend did this when his tensioner moved out but didn't fall right out. Install the cam sprocket on the chain and apply upward force to keep the chain tight. (he used a bunji cord through a hole in the sprocket and up to a rafter in the garage) Reach down between the chain guides with a pry bar or really large screwdriver and press on the chain in front of the tensioner and try to wiggle it back in place. As it moves back the slack will be saved by the bunji cord. He was very lucky to get it to work.

I introduced a broom stick into the lower curve of the chain, that keeps the tensioner on its place, after that you can release the sprocket without problem.

Hmmmm... Never thought about doing that. Interesting though. I still have the wooden wedge I always use. It's just an oily chunk of wood that my wife almost threw out. I explained it was an important 'tool'... yeah, she believed me.

The timing chain tensioner slide does not have a lot of slop. It fits in tight so if it comes out too far, it will start to twist upwards a little. At that point you won't be able to push it in with a screwdriver or stick.

If you are unable to pull the upper cam procket up to slip it onto the cam then you will have to remove the front cover.

If you do remove the front cover, then take the opportunity to replace your timing set.