1981 720 budget knuckle dragger.

Have to upload pics but the trucks come a long way since my last posts. Daily driven and tire slayer. Lowered it 4inchs and put low pro bumpstops in. Will work on uploading but there's so many. Check my instagram @thisolddatsun or check it out on Facebook. Names Zarran Haller.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This last weekend I went to rats with dats. Here's some pics of it now. Before

IMAG0051_zpsqwieyhkt.jpg

Just swapped starters.

IMAG0068_zps8fc2vhix.jpg

New stickers and put the show plates on.

IMAG0075_zpskd2k3jg9.jpg

IMAG0076_zpso7ujyiwo.jpg

Epic burn out after replacing the starter which led to my current predicament photo credit Josue Zuniga

FB_IMG_1465944875455_zpslfrrikw0.jpg

FB_IMG_1465944865052_zps3kfiaqay.jpg

Cruising the show photo credit Loren Olver

FB_IMG_1465870864341_zpsrrske1gv.jpg

Got home Sunday cruised Monday around my town and worked. Today started knocking sounds like head gasket maybe bearings cutting my losses gunna do a overhaul. Fuel injection (maybe) engine rebuild and 5spd. Next to my Orange truck. Only pic I have of them side by side since I dropped it. IMG_20160614_160157_zpsq4r0yz3a.jpg

I'll keep everyone updated.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Alright so Ive been working on replacing the headgasket, I pulled the motor just because and along the lines of other parts Ive ordered for birthday gifts to myself Electric fan timing kit and a 5spd out of a 1981 280zx which I plan to put in. a clutch pedal assembly for free now I just need to pull the automatic out and hopefully my driveline and cross memeber will work if not I have a 4x4 720 cross member. looks like my Stickerbomb is going to be getting some much needed love and upgrades. Will post pictures up in a few. nothing to exciting though.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Been playing around with other things while trying to get motivated to tear into the motor. List is down to slave cylinder, master cylinder, clutch hardline, valve cover bolts, star washers,fluids, battery, 2 new transmission bearings,transmission mount, and a bottle of rtv. Need to get the flywheel resurfaced as well. Clutch pedal assembly should be showing up any day now. Once I get the flywheel resurfaced I can put the truck most of the way together gave this valve cover a nice powdercoat as well. Apparetnly its a pretty hard to find valve cover. Not to sure but I love how it turned out. Ordered the powder off the internet and had my buddy coat it and bake it for me. As always here's pictures for everyone. Enjoy

20160911_194528_zps9r8igibj.jpg

20160921_133351_zpsf1wxcop9.jpg

20160921_134215_zpsxqzz8gg1.jpg

IMG_20160921_193319_zpswdh2nve5.jpg

20160921_192553_zpsskwmjyvo.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

So I finally tore the motor apart. I didnt blow the Head gasket :crying: looking like I spun a rod bearing still need to disconnect the rods and inspect. I Currently started a new job and had to place the project on hold because I cant afford the Part. I am convinced I shut it off early enough that I wont need to get the crank machined at all fingers crossed atleast. Hopeful I can order standard sized rod bearings. If I need machine work done at all on the crank I will take the head and block in for some work as well. Head job deck the block hone the cylinders and order some KA truck pistons. the motor is a z24i Still so the hone should be good enough for the standard sized 89mm pistons and rings. Still need to get my Slave, master, hardlines, bearing, and tranny mount so I can swap the bellhousing and put my 280zx Closed ratio transmission in. If all goes well I will only need the rod bearings to start putting the motor back together I hope. depending on how well my rebuild goes my next project will be Fuel injection using the 81-83 200SX Napz fuel injection intake with KA24E throttle body, injectors, and ECU. I held onto the z24i distributor and Oil pump shaft for the CAS. as for the wiring I have a friend whos done this before on his 720. Once I get my hands on the intake he said he will gather up a little care package to help me get my fuel injection going and be willing to help me out with the wiring harness. I would like to keep it separate from my wiring harness and am most likely going to wire the power for ecu to a toggle switch. but we will see what happens.

Why on earth would you put the ecu on a toggle switch? Just as a hidden kill switch?

Basically yes. Ive never delt with efi but i assume it works the same as a car stereo one wire for power when the key is on and another for all time power. Also its 1 or 2 plugs and i can pull it out. I also have the kick down solenoid that i was going to wire to a push button as well instead of the toggle switch for ecu. But id like to keep the harness and efi harness seperate just for ease of mind.

Alright so Ive been working on replacing the headgasket, I pulled the motor just because and along the lines of other parts Ive ordered for birthday gifts to myself Electric fan timing kit and a 5spd out of a 1981 280zx which I plan to put in. a clutch pedal assembly for free now I just need to pull the automatic out and hopefully my driveline and cross memeber will work if not I have a 4x4 720 cross member. looks like my Stickerbomb is going to be getting some much needed love and upgrades. Will post pictures up in a few. nothing to exciting though.

20160908_130608_zpskngemiqo.jpg

Doesn't look like a zx close ratio 5 speed to me from this angle. Got a better picture from this side?

'85 was when they went to the 62mm counter bearing from the smaller 56mm.

20160908_130608_zpskngemiqo.jpg

Doesn't look like a zx 5 speed to me from this angle. Got a better picture from this side?

'85 was when they went to the 62mm counter bearing from the smaller 56mm.

It had a 280zx shifter when my friend got it. It is a z car transmission but unsure of what it is from and from what I've heard its not a open ratio trans its a closed ratio. What would you like a picture of exactly? Passanger driver side?

Right or passenger side, rear half.

Could be wrong. It could be a zx transmission though, a '79 mid ratio. only the '80-'83 had the close ratio. Yes, I saw that it was out of an '81 but I have a '79 zx 5 speed I pulled from a scrap yard.... it was in my 620 for 8-10 years then out for three and now it's in my '76 710 for the past 3-4 years. I'm saying transmissions get swapped around. 

The zx only had a reverse light switch in them, like this one.

Right or passenger side, rear half.

Could be wrong. It could be a zx transmission though, a '79 mid ratio. only the '80-'83 had the close ratio. Yes, I saw that it was out of an '81 but I have a '79 zx 5 speed I pulled from a scrap yard.... it was in my 620 for 8-10 years then out for three and now it's in my '76 710 for the past 3-4 years. I'm saying transmissions get swapped around.

The zx only had a reverse light switch in them, like this one.

I believe thats what the determination was. I will snap a pic tomorrow for you mike. Iv anyone could identify it better im sure its you. My buddy bought it from a friend that said it was a zx trans. He put it in his 620 and said it felt no different than his 5spd he had. I believe it only had reverse light on it.