1981 720 budget knuckle dragger.

So I picked another 720 up from a buddy. $130+signed title engine sized up but body and interior were mostly straight. Found a 82k mile z24i with a 5spd for $200 selling the 5spd to my buddy who needs it for $100. My main concern is getting it running then Im gunna start lowering it.

Now more about the truck. Its a automatic with A/C and a back window defroster how crazy is that?! No power steering though.

Guess now its time for pictures!

The day I drug it home with the orange truck. IMG_20150710_203937_zpssta3hbyh.jpg

20150710_133917_zpspukkzydg.jpg

20150710_133931_zpsmpwmstyn.jpg

20150710_191856_zpsfcbr6rsu.jpg

Cherry picker and thr start of the swap.

20150721_181157_zpslhtzfgg2.jpg

Engines out

20150723_093949_zpsodufrhhb.jpg

20150723_093958_zpsyu74tnln.jpg

Picked the engine up with the DD

20150724_184821_zpsbgede9hp.jpg

Transmission and engine seperated

20150725_145814_zps8vnwfzzg.jpg

And whats left to do is swap flywheels and put the motor mounts on along with intakes.IMG_20150725_193914_zpsh5jiu8nt.jpg

This is my project 2weeks in and $330 dollars in.

• Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an Z24i engine from a D-21. Your buddy got a good deal on the transmission but he better measure the length before he puts it in something.

Your intake is not the greatest fit (port shape) but will work if good and clean and a good gasket.

Looks like your orange truck is 4wd? When you get to lowering your new truck, swap leaf springs between trucks. Free lift for 4wd and free drop for the 2wd.

The upper control arms can be flipped over and swapped left to right to gain clearance for additional drop on the front. They have circle dimple stamped in to them that has to be ground flat to flip them, but it's an extra inch of free drop.

That's an Z24i engine from a D-21. Your buddy got a good deal on the transmission but he better measure the length before he puts it in something.

Your intake is not the greatest fit (port shape) but will work if good and clean and a good gasket.

Mike i heard they are square ports? I only have a z22 intake but If I could stumble uppon a z24 intake would that work the same?

Looks like your orange truck is 4wd? When you get to lowering your new truck, swap leaf springs between trucks. Free lift for 4wd and free drop for the 2wd.

The upper control arms can be flipped over and swapped left to right to gain clearance for additional drop on the front. They have circle dimple stamped in to them that has to be ground flat to flip them, but it's an extra inch of free drop.

yes it is. I have another 4x4 parts truck in the back hard I was going to use the leafs off that. Is it the lower or upper control arms you swap sides? I was gunna loosen the torsion bars and maybe use smaller shocks to make it stiffer. If that works. Never had a mini truck before and Im going for it with this one.

Mike i heard they are square ports? I only have a z22 intake but If I could stumble uppon a z24 intake would that work the same?

The Z20 and Z22 are round, Z24 head ports are squarish with rounded corners. The round port intake will work, just.

You will be running a smaller displacement carb on a larger engine. May need larger jets.

The Z20 and Z22 are round, Z24 head ports are squarish with rounded corners. The round port intake will work, just.

You will be running a smaller displacement carb on a larger engine. May need larger jets.

thanks for the info mike. What would be a good size jet to run? The weber 32/36 I have on my z20 seems to run rich and the kit i ordered was for a z24. I have a couple other 32/36s one came off a z22 and the other is off a z24 I think.
  • Like 1

It's the upper control arms that you flip.

See wayno's comments about 1/2 down this page.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54245-my-1980-720-coming-along-slowly-but-surely/page-3

You will probably want to re-key the torsion bars if you drop more than 2 inches. That will allow you to keep them tensioned enough to work well.

It's the upper control arms that you flip.

See wayno's comments about 1/2 down this page.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54245-my-1980-720-coming-along-slowly-but-surely/page-3

You will probably want to re-key the torsion bars if you drop more than 2 inches. That will allow you to keep them tensioned enough to work well.

If i get to into lowering it i might just get drop spindles and or do a coilover setup. But that is interesting about the upper control arms...

Thanks mike! Another idea. Could I swap heads from a z22? I know they line up but would it change anything at all performance wise? I have a few laying around in the back yard and I hear the z24s or prone to blowing head gaskets at 100k so I could replace the head and gasket before it goes. Then I could use the older style intake with proper gasket.

So progress has been made. Week 3 and the z24 is in just have to finish bolting the engine, transmission and torque converter. Going to polish the intake also today while getting a transmission with my buddy for his 720 I scored a free z24 carbed intake and gasket. Along with finding a napsz honeyhole of parts for heads intakes bodys local 720 collector. Pretty cool guy deffinatly might go see him for more parts.

Pictures of the engine install

20150731_101518_zpsip835abp.jpg

20150731_112711_zpsdqlnk0nh.jpg

And the weber "kit" i pulled off a z24 a few months back.

20150729_085512_zpsr0i5ecw5.jpg

Also can I use a deep cycle battery in this truck? Just wondering its a free battery and just curious if it would work its like brand new. Trading my buddy a weber for it and some welding work.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think deep cycle battery's don't work very well in vehicles because most of them don't have high enough cranking amps like auto batteries. Deep cycle have high amp hours, better for long use. If it has the same or higher cranking amps as your current battery, it should be fine though.

Pretty much what I gathered is it takes longer to charge but will stay charged forever in the little truck. When I asked my uncle about it he asked why would i spend so much money on one. I told him cause its free. And then he told me to do it. Worst thing is I have to buy a proper battery.

So heres the distributor that came off the z24i. Cant use it because it doesnt have a vaccume advance.

20150808_161656_zps71dtzbk3.jpg

Heres the 1981 distributor.

20150808_161701_zps2vkp5law.jpg

The z24i distributor has a half moon and star pattern around it.

The z22 distributor has a half moon on both sides. How can i get around this? Can I swap oil pumps and do it that way? I have a z24 carbed distributor but it doesn't have the star pattern. Can i swap the base of the distributors?

It's really a CAS (crank angle sensor) . You can use either Z24i or Z22 oil pump. I think the Z22 and the Z24i drive spindles are the same length so just check that first. If they are the Z22 spindle and the Z22 dizzy should slip in.

The KA has a similar CAS and the base plate that holds it to the timing cover is different but I think the Z24i base is the same as the earlier Z engines.

• Like 1

It's really a CAS (crank angle sensor) . You can use either Z24i or Z22 oil pump. I think the Z22 and the Z24i drive spindles are the same length so just check that first. If they are the Z22 spindle and the Z22 dizzy should slip in.

The KA has a similar CAS and the base plate that holds it to the timing cover is different but I think the Z24i base is the same as the earlier Z engines.

i have the adapter and can get a z22 drive spindle no problem. Does that mean i can use the z24i oil pump with the z22 spindle if it the same length? I thought i have to use a vaccume advance for carberators?
  • Like 1

So as it appears they are the same size drive spindle for the oil pump. Working on finishing that up then I need to clean up the valves a little and do a port and polish on the intake before I put it on.

Getting closer hopefully I can get some drive time before the snow starts flying.

The spindle on the right is from the z24i the left is off a z22.

20150813_085319_zps8aub9pjp.jpg

20150813_085328_zps0ztw44dh.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...