Project in memory of grandpa

When I was little my grandpa used to drive me around in a 620 datsun I think. Ibe looked at pictures and it had round head lights and looked just like a 620 no idea what year. Well recently grandpa has gotten cancer and there's nothing they can do. He always loved that truck and working on cars. I went out and bought the closest thing I could find. I bought a 85 Nissan 720 standard bed. I told him about it and he was so excited. It's not in great shape but I would like to turn this into a ratsun for my grandpas memory. I'm sure he'll be gone before it's done but I'd still like too I had. Few questions and didn't kno where elSe to turn. I'd like to make this 720 look more like his and the only thing I can think of is the huge difference in the headlights and grill. Is there anyway to convert the headlights and grill or is it possible to put a 620 doghouse on a 85 720? Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't try to put round lights on a 720. The 720 is squarish and the rectangular lamps fit the style. The 620 has a swoopy half melted style and round lamps compliment it.  If swapping a 620 cab and matching box onto a 720 you may as well have just kept the 620 and fixed it up. 

The 620 was made for 7 1/2 years so there are lots of them, the 720 for 5 1/2 years.

Not having your 720 completed is not a big deal. I think grandpa would rather be sharing the future with you than a completed project with nowhere to go. Have fun with it and keep him up to date with your work.... this, is what you will remember.

BTW welcome to Ratsun Tinman

As you progress, bring Grandpa around periodically to keep him up on the progress!  It will also motivate you to keep at it!  Besides he just might surprise you with creative suggestions!  You don't get old without bring exposed to surprisingly creative ideas.

The involvement just might have a positive affect on his prognosis as a bonus.  There's nothing more boring than staring at a ceiling and wondering just how many more sunrises and sunsets you have left.  The number of holes in acoustical ceiling tile does NOT change.

The dog house idea would be neat to see, width may be an issue if you attempt it, really anything is possible if you have the drive to see it through. some people think of the practical side of things and doing more work then nessisary to get something that looks 620ish would seem silly compared to finding a 620. But it is really up to you what you want to do. Don't forget the bullet sides and external bed hooks those are some of the best parts of the 620 in my opinion.

Round headlights are bolt in if you buy the right parts. The 720 was sold with them by Nissan, just not in the US or Canada. Mexico had them and the middle east, maybe south America. There is a round headlight grill on eBay right now for a 720. Pretty penny, but it's there. http://m.ebay.com/itm/221816159053

The headlights can be bought at any parts store. All you would need is a set of headlight buckets. I don't know if 620 would bolt in or be easily retro fitted or what.

Member "Wayno" has this done to one of his 720s. He isn't super active here right now, but you could PM him about the swap and see if he responds.

Just fitting a 620 front clip might look odd. Like Mike said, they are two different design styles, fairly square vs very round. It would require metal massaging to get them to blend at all. Not saying it can't be done, just that there might be better options.