Build thread for motivation....

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/03/osgiken-tc16c1/

To answer questions 4 posts up

i only knew about the 6 cyl, and actually had a chance to be up close and personal, as my friend who is assisting me with my fab work (and who's shop the car is currently sitting) built a custom auspuffer from OS Giken head to tailpipe.  The exhaust ended up on a Z featured in OS Giken's booth at this years SEMA show....pretty trick head for sure.  It is basically what Cosworth did to the Fords back in the day......neat shit!  That will have to be the ultimate goal for this car...

I see a bunch of places where you have made it impossible to weld around the tubing completely. This is required for any sanctioning body. Whats your plan? I suggest you cut holes in the floor plates so that you can drop the cage several inches and weld the top junctions. Another benifit of this is when raising the cage back in place you can stress it in place instead on just touching the unibody... That makes a unibody super stiff.

I see a bunch of places where you have made it impossible to weld around the tubing completely. This is required for any sanctioning body. Whats your plan? I suggest you cut holes in the floor plates so that you can drop the cage several inches and weld the top junctions. Another benifit of this is when raising the cage back in place you can stress it in place instead on just touching the unibody... That makes a unibody super stiff.

I appreciate the input.... but I can assure you that corners are not being cut here. The roof skin is coming off.....the original skin is jacked up.

Got a lot done this weekend.  Had to section and box the pedal box to allow fitment with dash bar.  Sectioned the dash frame as well.  Next up sectioning and boxing the scroll fan housing.  Anyways...got the roof skin removed today, still need to do some work at the gutter seams to prep for donor.  Of course, donor skin still needs to be removed from frame structure.  pics shortly...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

so here is the pictures of my rusty cunthole of a roof....not pretty.  So this last weekend, I finally surgically removed the skin from a donor roof that a buddy of mine had been holding for me for a few years and then I kept it on the side of my house for 5+ years, much to the dislike of my wife. It then migrated to Sears Point to live in the compresser shed for the last 1.5 years. However, the day finally came and the roof if prepped for final transplant..... pictures tell the end of the story..

P1030698_zpsghhxqd1l.jpg

P1030699_zpskxan7jv3.jpg

P1030700_zpsttnl3h2k.jpg

long and short, bought the car didn't know about the roof....someone spent a lot of time shaping bondo, rather than doing it correctly.....this was the result.  

• Like 1

Wow, you are going to lengths and places most of us have never seen. Inspirational.

Me too.....believe me taking a death wheel to my fucked up roof was hard....but once you start cutting....you start to get into the zone.  The major structural shit is almost there, so it will be time to focus on the front strut build.

• Like 1

Thanks !! I basically cut with the death wheel where the roof meets the gutters...and then where the roof skin mates at the upper front and rear windsheild......i was able to take the skin off while retaining the 'structure'.  Now I had access to the 'strip' of metal that was resistance welded.....death wheel the welds.....work along with a chisel....time vampire!  Getting the skin off the donor was more challenging as I had to reove the structure from the skin from underneath.  I thought about using a roto broach from the top, but even with the smallest bit, I would still have a monsterous hole to fill in the valley of the rain gutter.....so from this side, you have the frame structure and a 'doubler' which means death wheeling and chiseling through two pieces......Glad to be on this side of it.  More pictures of the final welding of the cage coming soon......

more....this is the skin laid onto the roof structure...obviously, i still need to do final fitment at the A and C pillars.  I am super stoked at how this turned out and I cannot thank my friend Rolf who is assisting me with this build.  His knowledge of metal fabrication is deep, and i am stoked to be a recipient of.  Anyways, everything looks just perfect for final trim and fit.  Rolf is old skool so he wants to fill the joints with lead like the factory did.  

IMG_2290_zpsuoiapjwr.jpg

IMG_2291_zps2u0x1luw.jpg

IMG_2293_zps6mbrvpzt.jpg

had to box the pedal box to fit the dash bar....this is step one.  Adding a Tilton hanging box with dual masters...assloads of fab work ahead...

IMG_2225_zpsa8mwu6rb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I made a chassis trolley to make life easier rolling this project around.  It's crude, solid and it works.

FullSizeRender-47_zpsst1fwjt2.jpg

cage is getting closer......

IMG_2312_zpspzbpwlzi.jpg

got the front x-member back from the platers today!  w00t...super stoked.....69' x-member in better than brand new condition!

IMG_2363_zps140qbx51.jpg

will post more pics from the camera, once i re-install studs into x-member. Front struts coming next.....

• Like 2