Build thread for motivation....

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was cool before, but you have stepped things up! I really dig the fab work, keep the detIls coming please.

Thanks! Today was pretty boring....I 'crud thugged' the drivers side undercoating away. I have a couple of patches to make to fix some small rotten floorboard spots. So realistically I don't see the front cage pads going down for another couple weeks. NHrRA comes to town next weekend, so I will not be going to the shop to work on the nickel dime. I will post some pics from today later.
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this isn/t the correct place to post this but if anyone is following this thread....will be posting in classifieds as well as e-bay and SF Craigslist.  Anyways here is a list of shit that needs new homes:

* New Koni packing nuts for datsun strut casings: 40.00/pr

* Eibach 0800.250.0550 ERS springs (slightly used, 1 test day): 50.00/pr

* Carbotech XP-8 front pads, CT-166 pad-shape(280zx), brand new: 100.00, retail is 160.00

* 1 pair of Goodridge metric to straight 20 degree banjo (at caliper): 20.00/pr

* Drivers side headlight bezel, straight, no rust: 20.00

* Fuse box, fair condition, has been cut, but is easily fixable with a little solder and some adhesive lined raychem.: 20.00

* LF/RF fenders, straight, no rust, side marker has been filled (welded backside with thin skim coat of filler): 300.00 ea.

* fuel tank vent: 10.00

* fuel tank fill tube, was replaced just before car went into hibernation, no cracks: 15.00

* ST front ARB, 25mm, includes poly D bushes and end links: 100.00

* ST rear ARB, 19mm, includes hardware (I made a custom set up that had and adjustment plate to match the holes of the ARB, welded to the bottom of my trailing arm under the spring, so i eliminated the bar hanging in the back and the articulation issues when the endlink is supported at the bump-stop cup)...will post pics: 100.00

* 240Z aluminum drums: 60.00/pr

* Bosch SR140 gear reduction starter for 280zx, effortless starts with this one (new Bosch re-man): 100.00

* rear quarter windows (tinted).....

* rear Eibach custom springs for 510, only one run of these parts were ever produced, 850lb/in, includes polyurethane upper spring pad: 125.00/pr

pics of this stuff and updates to follow..

• 3 weeks later...

last week got the passengers side floorboard made and stitched in.  Also got the passenger side fender well pretty much sorted as well.  removed 'pie-cut' from drivers side fender well, made a new patch and stitched that in.  Found some more rust on drivers floorboard so i removed that too.  Cut the old bashed in floorboard (bashed to clear the collector) and boxed that in, and crud thugged the bottom of the other side of the car....so its almost stripped of undercoating.  some small patches to be made in the rear wells and stitch welding the frame rails up next. this past sat, i pulled the hubs and bearings from the rear LCA's. Blasted them prepping for re-enforcement of the bearing carrier and 2.5" weight jack arrangement.  PIctures to come today.....

• 1 month later...

ok....been a while, been pretty busy with life but finding a few hours a week for the 510....lot's of pics to post here goes...FullSizeRender-3_zpsgdoglbb8.jpg

Rust be gone.....yikes! You can see the beginings of the rearward push of the front fender wells..

FullSizeRender-33_zpsicxnwppk.jpg

new steel welded back in place, will be seam sealing and POR 15 the floorpan once all welding and grinding is complete..I still need to grind the welds at this point.

FullSizeRender-42_zpslyl9zwom.jpg

pass front fender well taking shape...

FullSizeRender-25_zpsfk0i7law.jpg

cut out old pounded floor (comp header), and replaced as I really wanted it...

FullSizeRender-31_zpsfu7lg5wp.jpg

view from underneath....rust there too, not horrible, but pitted beyond where I wanted this car to be....so pretty much the slightest bit of rust.....it was coming out with a death wheel....

just about finished with the front crossmember project....here's where i was at on Saturday, I have since rosette welded the bottom plate to the boxed x-member.

P1030567_zps5bql8ehq.jpg

P1030564_zpsd5rx3tld.jpg

P1030568_zpseceiklil.jpg

P1030566_zpsxzot0soa.jpg

inside drivers side...in progress...but close.

P1030565_zpsr4evdqgp.jpg

more drivers.....enough for tonight. time for Plineys with the wife!  :thumbup:

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

Good progress this weekend.  Have both 'A' pillar bars bent....still needs some final tweeking but really close.  I sectioned a portion of the roof/frame (where the visor mounts), to allow room to push the cage up out of the way as far as possible.  Looks like it will be pretty rad, the OD of the tubes are almost on the skin.  Also cut the spring buckets out of the lower control arms, in prep for rear weight jacks.  I want to get the plates welded in so i can send to plate.  I have pics of all of this, but took all of the with a 'normal' camera, will try to get them posted tonight. 

• 2 weeks later...

P1030684_zps40a7fydb.jpg

dashbar is kinked slightly to follow the firewall. I will be adding tubes that pick up from the dashbar through the fire wall and landing on the strut towers. will post as soon as it is complete.

P1030685_zpsbctlhtjd.jpg

same vantage point but you can see the 1" tube gussets at the upper corners of the headache and 'a' pillar bars.  i am thinking of finishing the corners with sheet and flared holes....DTM style

• Like 1

P1030683_zpspfyq7fzv.jpg

definitely going with flared hole sheet along the windshield portion of the 'a'pillars stitched to the chassis.....again opting for a little more DTM style and straying from the vintage style cage.....however, i am keeping it real with the L-series.....too bad OS giken doesnt make a 4 cyl head.....

• Like 1

Hopefully i will get a box of goodies from the platers tomorrow.....we had a batch going out at work so i did the mustache bar and steel spacer for the diff, stub axles and inner hubs, front x-member studs......x-member goes with another batch in a week.  Hopefully I will have the rear arms ready to go as well.....i will post pics as I receive parts.  Beer time.....